German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your German Shepherd puppy or dog run to the door barking when someone knocks or rings your doorbell? If so, at what age did it start? Our puppy has barked when she was outside and saw someone she didn't know approaching our house, but not when she's inside and someone knocks. Since our puppy barks on command, we've been taking turns with one of us knocking and the other giving the "speak" command. For some reason, we're failing to get her to associate knocking with barking. She does go to the door to investigate when someone knocks, she just doesn't bark when she hears knocking. Our puppy is too young to protect our house and I wouldn't want her to at her age, but aren't puppies taught to bite sleeves and alert bark so they'll have the right foundation when they get older? Would it help if I borrowed a friend's dog that does that for a few days? Is it easier for German Shepherds learn something like that through observation?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yes, they absolutely learn it from observation. I've had several foster dogs learn it from my own dogs. My pup Kopper didn't do it until he was about six months old and I firmly believe he learned it from Rocky.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Crystal started about 6 months of age. She had the instinct to bark, I guess.
Nour began imitating Crystal around the same age, but never began barking himself until abour 7 1/2 months.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have three dogs, so my GSD has heard them barking since she came home. My puppy is almost 9 months and she will only bark if needed, she will look and she is alert, but she isn't one to waste her time. Both other dogs will be at the door and she doesn't move unless she actually hears something and deems it worthy to bark at...its very rare:)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
It may be that she is no dummy and knows that it is you or your husband knocking on the door, so it's no big deal to her:)

I have two aussies and Masi/gsd she's 4. My male aussie barks at bugs, and if someone is at the door, oh yeah he barks,,Masi? well, it depends, sometimes she barks, most times she doesn't:) She certainly knows there is someone at the door, but she isn't going bonkers barking , which is fine by me. One big mouth aussie is enough:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.