German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been following this forum since I got Roscoe, who is 6 months now! I finally have a question to which I could not find an answer to.

So I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I or anyone else is playing with items, for example, sports balls, or throwing a pen up and down, Roscoe starts barking and yelping wanting to come and play with us. This happens when he is in his crate, tied up, or being held by someone. Just a little while ago my friend was throwing a pen up and catching it while Roscoe was in his crate, and he started barking pretty darn loud lol.

Honestly, it gets pretty annoying that he wants to be a part of everything. I usually shoot around on my basketball goal in my driveway, and he always comes in the way and tries to get the ball. When I put him in his crate or tie him up so I can shoot around, he goes crazy barking and lunging toward me trying to come play.

What can I do to fix this behavior?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think it is his prey drive. Fiona will run back and forth after a tennis ball on the tennis court on the other side of the fence. I wish I could tell you how to fix it. It seems once they get to the barking like a nut phase it is too late to correct. We need to learn to read them and as they approach nutty phase, correct them before they get there. But remember GSD are very much pack animals, so they do want to be in the thick of things. Fiona gets upset if I take trash out to the dumpster without her. Is it really that fun?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts