German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 9.5 month old female who is friendly with all dogs but always barks at them as I am walking her. Every time we walk past another dog, she barks at them. I have a friend that has 2 gsd's and he told me to get a prong collar as it works amazing for his dogs. I got one and I really dont notice a huge difference, lol. Any ideas of how to get her stop reacting to other dogs on walks? It is getting embarassing and other owners look nervous -- even though she really is friendly

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't have an answer for you but I jut started going through the same thing with my pup. He's 9 months old. Super friendly and excited but on leash he barks and lunges at the dogs, especially on our street. We're just starting to work with him on this. I did some research and read that prongs can actually make this situation worse, so I'm trying desensitization with clicker and treats. Too early to say if it's working. Interested to hear what others on the forum think.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
been dealing with this for MONTHS. Tried desensitizing with treats etc but mine isn't food driven outside (or toy driven). If she got her eyes locked on a dog I couldn't snap her out of it. Correcting with a prong has helped mine so far, but I hired a professional trainer before deciding to do that. If you dont notice a difference keep trying desensitizing thing, take her to places with dogs and treat her for any behavior thats not lunging or barking.
I have a hard dog. I tried a soft correction but it did not get her attention, she needs a fairly hard correction to snap out of it. Depends on the dog. :) Now we are to a point where I can generally say "hey be nice" and she keeps quiet. Our distance has decreased a lot

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine is only six months but she is doing similar and it is driving me nuts. She just wants to play with the other dogs. Every time I have talked to someone who's dog she is barking at and tell them she is a puppy do you mind if they meed and walk up to the other dog she is ready to play with them. It does tend to put other dog walkers in a bad situation though so I would like to fix it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I've heard the "she just wants to play" excuse so many times that I've lost count. It's a training issue. She might really just want to play, but she needs to learn that is not the way to go about it.

If I saw a German Shepherd or any big dog lunging and barking, playful or not, the last thing I want is for my dog to meet that dog.

You need to find a way to get your dog's focus off of that dog. Some use prongs. You can redirect with toys or treats. You can immediately change directions as soon as she goes into bark/play mode. Whatever you do, just make sure you're not giving your pup/dog the opportunity to react even for a second. Be consistent and don't expect immediate results right away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I did fit the collar correctly. I even took her to petco and one of the trainers looked at it to see if was fit correctly. He said it was perfect. She is worse when i take her to the vet -- super reactive. She is terrified at the vet so that does not help. I will try treats with a clicker and see what happens

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Rusty was like this when he was a pup, really between 8-12 months. It's funny because in training class he would behave around the other dogs but out and about would carry on.

I use to make him sit and wait until the other dog passed but that was not a good idea for him because he would sit there and anticipate them coming, staying in a sit but becoming more vocal. I just started walking past the other dogs quickly, I would say "let's go, let's go" and didn't give him or the passersby a opportunity to stop.

I have on occasion if I see someone who has their dog on a flexi lead turn the other way so we don't pass each other, had a few dogs lunge at us and got a little to close for comfort.

I do use a prong but like Paul mentioned it needs to be fitted properly. For some dogs a correction while they are in that moment will cause them to become more amped up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I said she just wants to play it is because that is how she has reacted 100% of the time when she has met those dogs. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a training issue and I do want to fix it. She has never lunged at dogs and at training class around lots of dogs she doesn't do it at all.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Another approach is to train an alternative behavior and correct the dog for not obeying a command. Rather than correct the obnoxious lunging/barking.

For example, ask the dog to heel. Heel means no lunging, no barking, eyes forward and dog's shoulder next to your knee.

Or ask for a focused heel with eye contact while you pass the other dog- then reward with a tug or treat when you are past the other dog.

First practice these commands and behaviors at home or away from other dogs and distractions. Then distractions at a distance, then closer. As with any training.

If you are sure the dog knows the command- you can start to correct her when she doesn't obey. I don't use a prong, personally, because it amps up my reactive dog.

In my opinion, training a command allows you to actually show the dog what you do want and gives you more chances to reward for good behavior. Rather than correcting the dog for barking and lunging.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a correction is necessary- I am not against corrections- but if you can set the dog up to succeed she'll be more likely to take the corrections the right way and be more happy to work with you.

I see many local dog walkers in my area who, after many years, are still "desensitizing" their dogs and shoving treats in the dog's mouth while another dog goes by. It seems to me like desensitizing may only go so far for some dogs (and some owners). It certainly has its place, but taking the next step (passing the other dog without needing to be put in a sit off the trail) requires some form of correction.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree that there needs to be a balance between correction and positive reinforcement of the desired behaviour. If all I did was pop the prong every time Delgado barked all he would associate the other dog with would be pain and frustration and he would never know what I actually wanted him to do.

Look up LAT (Look at This training) and BAT (Behaviour Adjustment Training), both are amazing resources which have helped me immensely. Delgado LOVES other dogs, more then food and toys he wants to play with them. But I also agree with Paul while it's not a appropriate greeting and needs to be curbed.

First, find the threshold. How close can the other dog get before the eye focuses, the huffing starts, ears prick up, and then the jumping bark happens. Start from there and work yourself backwards a few steps, that's where you're going to start your training. Once you have that set, get a very high value treat or toy that doesn't come out any other time. I have a cheap squeaky bone that fits in my pocket for Delgado that he loves

Every time the dog passes without a peep, huge party and praise. Once you get it consistently for a few days you can move one step forward. Keep praising and rewarding when the focus is on you and not on the other dog, any misbehaviour gets ignored and you move back a step. It may be days, it may be weeks, it may be months or years depending on the dog (I'm working on 8 months so far, but have been making steady progress).

Most of all, relax and don't focus on the other people and their reactions. It doesn't matter what they think, they can think your dog is a hellhound but it really doesn't matter. What counts is that you ARE working on it, and you have a goal in mind and are progressing. There are going to be setbacks, some you can control and others you can't. Don't think you're alone, there are NO such things as perfect dogs and we all have our struggles. Some issues are obvious to anyone (like barking) but that doesn't make them any worse then other issues :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
yes I did fit the collar correctly. I even took her to petco and one of the trainers looked at it to see if was fit correctly. He said it was perfect.
Did he fit it like how they explain in the link I gave to the leerburg website? Petco trainers aren't exactly top of the line dog trainers.

She is worse when i take her to the vet -- super reactive. She is terrified at the vet so that does not help. I will try treats with a clicker and see what happens
If your dog is terrified of something, a correction from a prong is probably not the best tool. It's probably just going to make it worse. Prongs aren't right for every dog. Some dogs shut down after these type of corrections.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
When I said she just wants to play it is because that is how she has reacted 100% of the time when she has met those dogs. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a training issue and I do want to fix it. She has never lunged at dogs and at training class around lots of dogs she doesn't do it at all.
Wasn't trying to single you out. It's something you hear all the time when you're out and a dog is lunging and barking at your dog. "He/She just wants to play". I was just generally speaking.

If it's a behavior you don't want, don't reward it. Your dog is barking and you bring the dog over to meet the other dog, right? That's reinforcing that behavior and giving him the ok to act that way. Either correct or redirect. Either way, don't bring him over so he can meet after barking. Train the behavior out of him.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is very frustrating to me and I am going to talk to my trainer about it. With my dog it seems like she really only does it when we are in the yard maybe it is a territory thing. She deosn't seem to bark at them on walks, at the vet, at training or even the one time we went to a dog park. I try to correct her with No! but she ignores it, try to turn the focus, put myself between her and the other dogs, have tried to calm her down telling her everything is ok but she ignores all of it.

The one thing that has been working is a tennis ball. The dog is extremely tennis ball driven. I will take the ball with me when taking her out to walk. When I see her start to focus on another dog I toss her the ball and she pretty much ignores the dog as long as the ball is in play. Then I try to tell her good dog while the dog walks passed as long as she didn't bark at it.

This is not something I want my dog doing at all. There are already enough negative stereotypes with a dog like a GSD without people getting barked at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts