German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our 12 week old puppy last week and have been out every day meeting and greeting. The last 2 days she's showing signs of agression - barking at other dogs. We have her signed up for training, puppy day care, group play times next week but is there something we should be doing TODAY to get this behavior changed.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
We picked up our 12 week old puppy last week and have been out every day meeting and greeting. The last 2 days she's showing signs of agression - barking at other dogs. We have her signed up for training, puppy day care, group play times next week but is there something we should be doing TODAY to get this behavior changed.
She's probably too young to make that diagnosis.

Don't assume it's aggression she could just be happy to see other dogs.
Watch her body language, listen for the pitch of the bark and her reaction when she reaches the object of her barks.

Turid Ruugas has some great books that help people better understand what their dogs are saying with those barks, calming signals etc. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Its hard to read body language from a little pup. She's definitely too young to be labeled as aggressive. Sounds like curious puppy behavior. Make sure you socialize heavily with anything and everything, including dogs, in the next couple of months and everything will be ok.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta is 18 weeks old now and she still barks and sounds all ferocious when she sees other dogs, BUT she's not really being aggressive. She's just really, really, super duper happy to see them. If she gets to meet them, it's all wagging tails and licking and sniffing and crying with happiness. She has bad doggy manners, I'm afraid, and I haven't had much success correcting them yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia barked like crazy to get the other dogs attention...this was a HUGE challenge, and obedience helped a lot! Now that she is 15 months, we play surprise so she won't bark...she is not aggressive at all, but her bark makes her look aggressive!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts