German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6.5 mo has been barking at everyone through the car for over a month now. I thought it would stop. It's mostly when we stop to let my kids out at school.... a daily routine we've been doing with her in the car for 3 months now. She should be used to it and past the barking.

Then, when people come to the house, she barks like crazy and I have to firmly tell her to stop, stare at her a bit and show her who's boss. But sometimes she'll start up again after I've backed away. Eventually she calms down, but sometimes there's a jump/nip involved. We've been trying to stop the jumping from day 1, and it's slowly getting better with family.

Are all of these signs of fear, insecurity in an otherwise very confident dog? I don't fully trust her near people now because of several nips and all of the barking. Sometime she's fine with them, but there's no knowing for sure when she'll be okay and when she won't. I'm not sure if this is protectiveness, fear, overexcitement or what.

Generally speaking, at home with us she's very calm and easy-going, though there has been occasional nipping when she doesn't want to leave my bed (when me son's trying to get her off, not when I try to get her off). Other times, she'll go from licking the face to a slight nip on the chin... no warning, no reason (though I think this might be excitement in these cases).

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Has your puppy been socialized alot because I wouldn't think a young puppy like that would be barking at a bunch of kids going to school.

I also have a hard time thinking of a 6 month old puppy really barking at your son and nipping in a bad way are you sure she just isn't being vocal and wanting to play. She definitely needs to be taught nice or gentle.

If she is in deed being aggressive toward your son then it makes me think that she believes she is the boss.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Has your puppy been socialized alot because I wouldn't think a young puppy like that would be barking at a bunch of kids going to school.
Since I got her at 3 months of age, I've walked with her daily around the neighborhood and to the elementary school, and the middle school. We stopped walking as much to the schools recently because of my wanting to take time with working on a better walk.

I also have a hard time thinking of a 6 month old puppy really barking at your son and nipping in a bad way are you sure she just isn't being vocal and wanting to play. She definitely needs to be taught nice or gentle.
not vocal or playful, more of a "I don't want to go, leave me alone." When he puts the leash on her to get her off the bed, however, she goes with him willingly.

If she is in deed being aggressive toward your son then it makes me think that she believes she is the boss.
She listens to him most of the time, but when she's on the bed... until he puts the leash on her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think you have to train, train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I think because of her age it is a fear stage, and you have to manage it or she may become fear aggressive. Do you practice NILIF ?
When you do, it helps the dog to gain confidence because the dog will look to you instead of "taking care of things", the dog knows you are the one in control of the situations that s/he is reacting to.
The whole family should be on board with it as well.
Before your pup starts in with her reactive behavior, redirect her. I wouldn't reprimand it if it does happen, just get her focus back to you with treats or toys & hopefully before she has a chance to do anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think because of her age it is a fear stage, and you have to manage it or she may become fear aggressive. Do you practice NILIF ?
Yes, everyone in house is doing NILIF, and always looking for more ways to incorporate it. Making her sit/stay for food, sit/stay to exit/enter house, has to be invited onto bed, into car, etc.

Before your pup starts in with her reactive behavior, redirect her. I wouldn't reprimand it if it does happen, just get her focus back to you with treats or toys & hopefully before she has a chance to do anything.
On our walks, I've tried everything I can think of to redirect her the moment I see/hear a car coming. Sometimes I can, but usually she's too focused. I've tried food, casually walking farther from the street, talking, getting her to focus on my face, favorite toy, sit command (I can get to to sit and stay with a lot of success, but she still tracks the car, and often snaps in the direction of it... my trainer said having her sit may pent up her frustration or whatever and may make things worse).

When she's in the car, I have sometimes used food before drop off so she doesn't pay attention to the kids. That usually works. I guess I should continue this. But then there are random times she'll start barking at someone we're passing...I can't continually feed her while I'm driving.

·
Registered
682 Posts
train,train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.

Yes this about sums it up. The jumping when people come in the house can be fixed fast honestly. IMO, I would put a collar and a leash on the dog before people come in the house, when the doorbell rings, put the dog in a sit and he HAS to stay in a sit until YOU tell him to move. Can you have a friend or family member help work with this? Have them come in then go out and work from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
train,train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.
I'm on board with the 'train, train, train' part, but how do I socialize when she barks at everyone, doesn't let up, and more importantly.... many people are scared of her because of the barking?

Today, my father-in-law came by. Granted, she hasn't seen him in over 2 months, but he's had dogs his whole life, isn't intimidated by the barking, and therefore not likely to be throwing off any fear 'vibes'. She jumped/barked, and continued doing so despite my telling her 'off'. I had to get between them a few times to make her back away. She settled down when I took her into the next room and distracted her with a kong filled with a treat.

Later on, I dropped my son off at a friends. My pup barked, barked, barked at the dad (another dog-wise person who isn't afraid of her). Then she was ears back/calm with the mom.

So, here we have the same behavior but on two fronts, the homefront and a 'foreign' locale. Meanwhile, at the dogpark, she's totally fine with all the people while she's running around playing with the dogs... no barking, except occasionally at a dog for normal dog stuff.

As an aside, I had the trainer formally assess her last week. I dropped her off for the day, and he had her exposed to bunch of different people she had never seen before....... she was a perfect angel for him, well behaved, listen/understood all of her commands from class, etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I cant say much since I am in process of training my pup. However, If you are nervous, your pup may sense it and be reacting to your "vibes." I noticed that when I was a bit nervouse, so was my dog. When I am calm, so is he. On the flip side, he has started to show protection instincts...but that is a whole other post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cant say much since I am in process of training my pup. However, If you are nervous, your pup may sense it and be reacting to your "vibes." I noticed that when I was a bit nervouse, so was my dog. When I am calm, so is he. On the flip side, he has started to show protection instincts...but that is a whole other post.
I've always been unafraid of people we approach, and very confident in that she would do well with them... which she did for the first few months. This just started on its own one day, all the barking for no reason. With enough barking and lunging towards other people, I started to pull away, to prevent any potential for bites. But then last week a man approached her, she sniffed, was petted, all was well, and I remember walking away feeling quite confident that things were good. Then she turned around and for no reason started barking at him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts