German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shepherd that is around 6 months old. We started crate training him when we got him around 3 months old. However, he has always barked and howled really loudly to the point of waking me up while in the other room. He does this randomly while we are in the other room. It makes me feel bad but at the same time I would like to be able to get some rest. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
He sounds like a typical puppy to me. My boy is 5 months old today and he does the same thing. The key is to NOT let him out when he's carrying on like that or he'll learn that if he wants to come out he needs to be loud. Give it time and stay firm and he'll get the point that the crate is a safe, quiet place and he'll settle down.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
He's been doing this for 3 months? Where is the "other room" that his crate is in? I keep the crate right next to the bed so puppy is close to his pack, and I've never had a dog not settle down within a few days or weeks. By 6 months old he should be housebroken and able to sleep through the night. Maybe he just wants to be near you.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
He sounds like a typical puppy to me. My boy is 5 months old today and he does the same thing. The key is to NOT let him out when he's carrying on like that or he'll learn that if he wants to come out he needs to be loud. Give it time and stay firm and he'll get the point that the crate is a safe, quiet place and he'll settle down.
So true, only let him out when he is quiet. Give him some toys or a bone to chew on. If the crate is an open metal one put a blanket or a tarp over it so it can become his cave, also he won't be as distracted by sights and sounds.
My girl didn't complain much beyond 3 months.
It is hard to ignore them when they sound so sad but it has to be done for your and his sanity.
:cry:

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Most people start crating as soon as they bring their puppy home and it only takes a few days to get them use to the crate which most always becomes their safe spot. If I were in your shoes I would work on short stays in the crate and let him out on;y when he settles down and reward him. Then try again a hour or so later. It doesn't matter if he is in his crate 10-15 minutes just let him out and reward him.

·
Registered
386 Posts
weird, my pup doesn't make a peep in the cage unless he's gotta go potty, but if i let him out and go downstairs and lock him in his baby gate, he makes it sound like someone is murdering him

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do all of those things. Only let him out when he is quiet, I give him a bone or toy to chew on. I have put a blanket over the crate but he chewed it pieces. His crate is in the laundry room, so it is away from the bedroom. The barking has gotten better over time, but it still needs some work. Its like a really loud shrieking noise sometimes, and it drives me insane. I do give him a treat for going into the crate, I have no trouble getting him in there. He just doesn't like to stay there. Thanks for everyone's advice :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try to make the stays in the crate shorter, I just get very busy so sometimes I cannot keep an eye on him so I have to put him in there.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
His crate is in the laundry room, so it is away from the bedroom.
He just doesn't like to stay there.
I think that's your problem. He doesn't want to be separated from his pack. Bring him into the bedroom with you at night and I'll bet your problem with be solved very shortly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had thought about that, the only problem is that the bedroom has carpet and sometimes he has a small accident on it because he is not used to the carpet. Most of the house is tile so he knows not to go to the bathroom there. So we thought about putting the crate there, we just don't want him to pee everywhere... I don't know if you have any suggestions about that? Maybe some puppy pads? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
I'm confused - wouldn't he know not to pee in his crate no matter what room it's in? :thinking:

A 6 month old shouldn't still be having accidents in his crate anyway, he should be able to hold it through the night as long as he goes right before you put him in at night and you take him outside immediately when you get up. But if he really can't hold it all night you should be getting up to take him out.

The advantage to having the crate right next to the bed is that he'll wake you up when he needs to go, so you'll have time to prevent a mess. Also - doesn't your crate have a pan that would keep accidents contained if you slip up once in awhile?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
are you using a wire crate or a plastic one? That could also very well make a big difference. If you're using a wire one, try a plastic one. I know there are a bunch of dogs who dont like the openness of a wire crate and will pull ANYTHING in that is on or around the crate. Plastic crates tend to provide more security. For me personally i also wouldnt bring the crate into the bedroom until he's good with being on his own downstairs in his crate just so they realize that they are okay to be away from us every now and then. But thats me. Once Shasta stopped carrying on in her crate downstairs at night, we brought a crate into our bedroom and havent had issues since whether we leave her downstairs in a crate or bring her up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree with Debbie, I would bring the crate in the bedroom with you, if she still whines while she is next to you it's ok to give her a little "shhhhhh" nothing to loud and crazy but just let her know your there. I also don't like the wire crates for that reason, they are too open and yes if you put a blanket over it they can pull it in and chew it. If your budget can handle it I would go for a travel crate, they are darker inside and I think they feel more safe and if they have an accident, it won't go on your floor. Just my oppinion though.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I too agree with Debbie. I'd take the crate in what ever room I'm in (during the training process). If you are in the den, have the crate in there. If you are going to bed, take the crate with you. I'd feed in the crate all meals. I wouldn't give a single treat (unless your training) unless the pup is in the crate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He still sometimes has small accidents in his crate, It's not very often though. Like today I heard a bunch of noise like he was digging in his crate (shaking noise) and I went to check on him and he had just peed right before I got there. Sometimes he does that when he is bored, so I didn't realize he had to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the mess in the wired crate is not hard to clean up because it is a wire crate and has a pan in it. It's just that If I put him in the bedroom he will go on the carpet (maybe because its soft?). The place where his crate is now is in the laundry room and it has tile in it, in fact most of the house is tile.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
He still sometimes has small accidents in his crate, It's not very often though. Like today I heard a bunch of noise like he was digging in his crate (shaking noise) and I went to check on him and he had just peed right before I got there. Sometimes he does that when he is bored, so I didn't realize he had to go to the bathroom.
How much time does he spend in his crate? If he's bored, that's a separate issue, which shouldn't have anything to do with housebreaking issues. But why would he be bored unless he's spending a lot of time in his crate and not much time interacting with you by playing and training?

How often are you taking him out for pee breaks? He may be having accidents in the crate because you're not giving him enough opportunity to eliminate outdoors. Are you cleaning his crate with an enzyme product such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution to completely remove the odor? If not, he's going to be attracted back to that spot and continue to pee there. Have you considered that the supposed "separation anxiety" is because he needs to go outside?

At his age he should be able to hold it for hours, so if he's not in there for very long at a time yet is still having accidents there could be a medical reason, such as a urinary tract infection. You might want to consider taking him to the vet.

It's just that If I put him in the bedroom he will go on the carpet (maybe because its soft?).
Maybe I wasn't clear - when I suggested you bring him into the bedroom with you I meant bring his crate into the bedroom rather than isolating him in the laundry room, not that you should let him loose in the bedroom while you sleep. Being with his pack is comforting for a puppy, and if he does wake up and need to go outside you can take him out so he doesn't have to soil his crate. The problem you have now is that he's been doing it for months, so breaking the pattern is going to be more difficult that if you'd been proactive about making sure he has few opportunities to pee in the house in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Did we lose the OP? Hope things are going better....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts