German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just inherited a 4 year old german shepherd from a family friend who was diagnosed with leukemia and felt he could no longer care for Mack.

He is a very well mannered dog, but not properly trained.

He drives around in the truck with me all day. He really enjoys hanging out in the truck, but barks loudly when he sees other dogs or large, white trucks.

I don't want to discourage him from barking in general, but the truck barking is killing me. It startles the **** out of me and hurts my ears. How can I train him not to bark in the truck?

Thank you.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Welcome Mack~thanks for taking in Mack!

I'm sure he gets bored riding around all day in a truck? Does Mack needs more mental and physical stimulation, so barking is his outlet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Let me explain the situation better.

We are not in the truck all day. A large part of my business is looking at homes and giving estimates. So, we do drive around for several hours a day looking at jobs. However, I do let him out often for a quick run.

He has been with us for over a month now. Does not bark at all in the house, until someone knocks on the door. He seems to have settled in fine and is happy. I don't think it is frustration, just some instinct of his.

Also, he is fine when he meets other dogs. However, if he meets them while on leash he goes nuts. I think he may have issues meeting dogs while restrained. Not sure if this is related to the barking in the truck issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog does *exactly* the same things - she barks at other dogs while riding in the truck and goes berserk when meeting other dogs while leashed. Same kind of situation with driving - I take her with me to pick up the kids but most of her day she spends with me working on the ranch so I doubt lack of exercise would be a contributor.

I'm not looking for the trigger as much as looking for the "off" switch :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts