German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that it's not difficult at all to train your dog not to bark at people but I'm having a frustrating time. My dog barks at anyone that isn't me (even people he sees every day) Then he licks them to death and is fine... until they move or leave and come back and acts like he didn't just see them 5 minutes ago.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What kind of training has your dog done? Any classes? How old is he? How long have you had him?

Oh and welcome to the forum! Post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
we have the same problem with Riley. He barks at almost everything. Someone knocks or rings the doorbell and he barks and barks and refuses to stop even when he's told to. its so annoying. I wish i had some ideas for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll get some pictures up soon. I think he's a mix of something but Shepherd dominate. He's about 6 months and I've had him just under a month. He hasn't had any kind of training and after asking around about classes, they're fairly expensive /: I'm doing my best to correct this behavior but there hasn't even been an improvement.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You really need to get him in some classes. It's not only good for training, but it's also good socialization and it's really not that much money. You can probably get in a 8 week course for something like $150. In the grand scheme of things, it's really not much and can really help.

He's still really young, so this can be trained out of him, but you need to put in the time and effort first. Doesn't just happen over night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
150 would be great. The places I had contacted were asking for a great deal more than that. I guess I'll keep looking because I agree, I think it'd be beneficial for both of us. He's pretty uncomfortable around anything unfamiliar too so I'd definitely like to find a reasonably charged place to take him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts