German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I am a long time lurker of the forums......Started lurking almost 2 years ago when I got. a GSD puppy....My boy Bo will turn 2 in November. All has been great, I spent a ton of time socializing him and working 1vs1 with him and still continue. Only 1 issue.........

I live off a fairly busy street and anytime he is in the front yard he likes to bark at all cars that park in front of our house or strangers walking by. When I am home and he does this he responds well to my command of "enough" and my recall. However, he doesn't listen too well in these situations to my wife. I would like to correct this behavior in general.

Not sure if this is a shortcut but I recently started thinking about e-collars and using as negative reinforcement.....I am honestly unsure of how I feel about e-collars in general. I have never used on any of my past dogs....Plus I really adopted a positive reinforcement only (atleast for the most part) training mentality with Bo and I have been pleased with how it has worked out.

Can someone provide any pro's and con's....Would an e-collar be an effective tool in what I am trying to correct. Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
4,979 Posts
It would be much simpler, and more beneficial in the long run, to spend some time working on his OB with the wife.

There is a steep learning curve to fairly using an e-collar. It's not an easy button.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
PRO...E COLLARS can work when used correctly

CON. If you use the e collar on a 2 year old dog they will listen while it is on but once you take it off they won'y.

I assume you don't leave Bo in the front yard when you and your wife are gone so to me you need to show your Bo that your wife means business.She should start by taking control while walking him and then giving him commands. She has to follow through and show Bo she means business.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree with others, what exactly are you trying to correct? If your dog isn't listening to your wife, he should be taught that her commands are not optional. The "problem" may not be dog, but with how well your wife follows through when giving a command.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
OP, you are mentioning that he responds to your recall. Does that mean he is out there by himself? How did you get him to ignore the distractions? How is his general obedience with your wife (regarding with the dog!). The Ecollar in that situation can work against you as he might make the association of the stimulation=discomfort with the objects/people he is barking at and making him more reactive as a result if you don't do it 100% right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Malibu mentioned about e-collar. What is this? I read somewhere on the internet that people use the anti bark collar which mean the collar with vibration to make the dog behave. So is that e-collar? Lol i can search the internet, but just want to ask here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts