German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m needing advice. I’ve read a lot here, but still unsure. Jax is 6 months old and we’ve had him since 7 wks. He’s never seen fighting or anything stressful. My issue is every time my dad or father-in-law stops by Jax barks constantly and his hair stands up in a straight line down his back. His tail is wagging while barking. He acts scared as he runs backwards while facing them. He’s seen dad several times now so he should be use to him. He does this to strangers, too. Does it seem like its anger or just a scared reaction. I’ll get a video this week. We’ve tried dad offering him his favorite treat, I’ll sit by dad and put my arm on his leg and dad always hugs me before leaving. I added a few pics of our boy.
D06377A3-22F6-48FE-8711-6A4292FB0314.jpeg
B43DEF52-37D0-4856-A6B8-20F3DF0F6730.jpeg
CE19640C-5060-487F-AE72-B410287BC0E1.jpeg

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
560 Posts
Fear, being a father-in-law myself, I have to work at not being scary when I visit :D Your emotions will transfer to the dog so make sure you are happy and relaxed.

I'm no expert but here is what has worked for us.

Trying have them stop, turn so that they are 30 degrees to the dog and not facing head on in a challenging stance. Don't look directly at the dog. raise tone of voice to a higher pitch or even baby talk. Let dog approach them on his own, don't force the greeting.

When I meet a new dog I always turn on an angle, never stare, never reach and let dog approach my side and sniff.

When out on a walk if a off-leash, loose dog starts running towards us, I step out in front, squared off and use a deep voice. Works most of the time. I also carry a big stick as backup:giggle:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Those standing up hairs are called "hackles" . I found a pretty good explanation of them:

It sounds like your fella (cute!) is just a bit too reactive. I assume with maturity that will pass.

·
Super Moderator
7,725 Posts
@drparker151 is correct. The more he is stared at,reached toward, talked to - the more unsettled and suspicious the dog feels.Have visitors ignore him and let Jax approach in his own time. Blocking other dogs from access is a good idea. When dogs are leashed they often feel trapped and unable to go through a normal greeting ritual as they would unleashed.

Reactions: Jess21 and Davycc

·
Registered
217 Posts
Zac has done exactly the same thing to one person and only one. My next door neighbour was very full on with Zac the first time he met him. He doesn't see Zac that often and on Saturday we met him and he was full on again (not being nasty just started to wind him up thinking he was playing) and of course he started barking jumping and his hackles were up. I corrected Zac then politely corrected the neighbour. He honestly thought it as playing with Zac. Yesterday we met him again and he ignored Zac as he talked to me, Zac sniffed him, licked his hand and went about his business being goofy.

Sometimes it's not the dog that needs trained.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those standing up hairs are called "hackles" . I found a pretty good explanation of them:

It sounds like your fella (cute!) is just a bit too reactive. I assume with maturity that will pass.
Awesome! Thank you! Learn something new each day!

·
Registered
939 Posts
IAwesome! Thank you! Learn something new each day!
Yeah, I didn't know they were related to the hairs on your arm standing up. Somethin' new.
Cute pup BTW. Great ears!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts