German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I teach Neko, 5-1/2 months not to bark wildly for her food first thing in the morning? She's great right up until I am in the kitchen and reach for her food bowl. I realize she's hungry, and the puppy food drive is strong, but it's really annoying while I'm trying to get coffee going for me, feed cats, organize lunches, etc. Since she has megaesophagus we feed her on the stairs - I can't really put the food in a non-elevated position (i.e, make her work it out of a kong or similar.)

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this but I can't think of it yet....thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
When Shasta barks for her food, I put her in a down stay, then walk away from her food and do something else in the kitchen (like make coffee!) until she quiets. I'm also finding the down stay to be effective when she's begging treats while I'm going about my business.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will give that a try. She's good on "down"...we're working daily on the "stay" part.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I ask my puppy to sit (quietly) before getting fed. She gets food (and water if I had it put up from water-bowl digging) when she sits nicely for a second or two. If she knows sit you could try this. If she barks, put the food up, walk away, try again in a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Don't give her the food until she STOPS barking period. Put it up and walk away ignoring her and then the minute she is quiet give it to her. Zoe did this and learned quickly unless she was quiet her food stayed on my counter:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had to take our 3 year old to private OB lessons to work through some bad habits, one of which his his vocalizations.

She had us turn our back to him every time he became vocal in an inappropriate way. Food dish would be an example....I am holding food, he starts barking....what would you do if this was a 14 year old son demanding money? You would definitely not give in. By turning your back to them you deny eye contact and interaction. When he quiets I turn back around and try the food again.

It is working believe it or not. Taking maybe two tries after a few days of practice and turning my back up to ten times before I had a quiet sit until I had placed the food on floor and said o.k.

Just an idea I just learned.......

I now make our 10 week old sit quietly before anything...water, food, door open, put on leash....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts