German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 4 month old puppy has always liked to stare out the window, and we didn't discourage that because we assumed she's a curious dog and likes to see what's going on (she's been like that since a young pup - she likes standing on a high point and watching the world).

Lately, she's been barking at people or cars outside our window. It's small barks if they're far away, but if they're close (probably 100 feet from our house at the bus stop) she will bark her head off.

She's the same way outside when we walk, and I've been working on it and she's getting better. I'm trying to distract her before she tenses to bark, and not taking her past her threshold (although sometimes we do get surprised by people/dogs on their way). She's improving, but slowly.

My question is, do I do the same type of distraction indoors? I know outdoors it's easier to control because I can see it before it happens and if we are surprised, I can just turn her away and walk away. But inside is a little more difficult. She loves looking out the window so I don't watch her all the time when she's hanging out there. I've been told to put her in her crate when she barks, but I don't want to stop the barking completely. I don't mind an alert bark when someone is at the door or coming onto the property. I just would like her to stop when I say enough.

Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have had several dogs do this. The best approach I have found is to block them from the window when they start barking. You have to physically stand in front of the window and not allow them access. Once the barking stops then they can look out the window again. You can follow up with verbal praise when the barking stops and an ok command then leave the window. If the barking starts again repeat. They get the idea of hey if I want to look out this window I must be quiet.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Try teaching her a "no bark" type of command - when she barks, just say "no bark" or something similar, and treat and praise when she shuts up, lol. Eventually they learn that quieting down = treats/hugs from mom. I wouldn't try and redirect with anything, because she may just learn that barking at the window = I get something good. Make sure she earns anything she gets, whether it's by quieting down or coming to you, or going to lie down, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts