German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

we just adopted Mel, a 8 yr old GSD mix. he's a really sweet dog, and for the first 2 days in our apartment he was absolutely quiet. he likes to lie/sleep by the door, which i guess is part of his instinct to guard the home. but now that he seems to be settling in, he's started barking when he hears (smells?) people passing by in the hallway outside our front door. what is the best way to discourage this? i've read general tips on suppressing barking, but not sure what specific techniques to use in a case like this - he does not do this outside at all, to either dogs or people, so i'm assuming this is just a "guard dog" kind of protective reflex at home?

thanks,
marc

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hes probably still getting settled in, Hes not used to hearing people outside the door. Does he stop barking when you correct him?? Once he gets used to the idea people are walking down the hallway and its a normal thing I expect he'll quiet down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply - that sounds totally reasonable, he probably just needs to get used to apartment living. the first time it happened we didn't know how to stop it - it woke us up around 7am, i think when our neighbor was going to work. it wasn't terribly frenetic, just a steady woofing at the door for a good minute or so, at which point we moved him to his "crate" (our bathroom with a gate on it), and he stopped. this morning he did it a little less, and just now when he was about to start i tried a suggestion i read somewhere - i stood between him and the door, checked out the door to acknowledge his warning, and asserted myself at the door until he quieted down. it worked pretty well! he stopped barking, and after about 30 seconds of staring him down at the door he relented and walked away. so hopefully with a little more acclimation and practice, it won't be an issue at all.

cheers,
marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts