German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 8 months old. Lately I have noticed she will bark at strangers and then run up to them, sniff them and let them pet her. It's a bit disconcerting for the individual that is being barked at and for me as I'm not sure why it's happening. Has anyone else had this issue? She seems really scary, but isn't and I'm afraid of what could potentially happen. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My Sting did that. I trained him out of it, by putting him on his leash off we went for neighborhood walks, backyard walks, front yard walks , in parks . I started at a distance - when someone was coming, Sting would have to sit by my side - he got treats as a reward - if he barked - I put my hand over the top of his nose -and told him quiet -at the beginning I had to stand in front of him. He then learned to be quiet . If a person wanted to approach him - I asked the person to wait and stop about 10 ft. Sting would first have to sit/stay and be quiet -then when he was - I would say "Okay, Sting you can go meet him" and he could go up to the person and be petted. Also, I would practice if someone was coming - quick turn - other direction - sometimes, I would just say a quick hi and keep going - that way Sting learned that I was in charge of his walks and who he would meet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a great idea. Thank you. I took her to Schutzhund training for the first time on Sunday and the trainer was a little puzzled by her behavior. I know her issues are my fault and as she's my first I'm learning as I go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts