German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My 5 month year old GSD is very well behaved and he's been a joy to the whole family.

The only problem we have is that he barks at his reflection in windows a lot. This is a big problem because his designated room is an all-window conservatory (fun) so there's loads of places for him to see himself.

I really want to know if there's anything I can do to help this. For one, our neighbour is really fussy with any sort of noise (if he barks once or plays with his toys too loud then we get a call)...but also, I don't want my dog to stress himself out over his own reflection. :eek:

Any advice on how to treat this would be much much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hi there,

My 5 month year old GSD is very well behaved and he's been a joy to the whole family.

The only problem we have is that he barks at his reflection in windows a lot. This is a big problem because his designated room is an all-window conservatory (fun) so there's loads of places for him to see himself.

I really want to know if there's anything I can do to help this. For one, our neighbour is really fussy with any sort of noise (if he barks once or plays with his toys too loud then we get a call)...but also, I don't want my dog to stress himself out over his own reflection. :eek:

Any advice on how to treat this would be much much appreciated.
Tell him, firmly, "No". Reprimand him when he barks and reward him when he stops barking so he can learn what you want from him. That is the best advice I can think of.

·
Registered
33,965 Posts
Teach him the command "Quiet", using a clicker is the fastest way. Dogs are NOT good at generalization so just telling him No really means little to him. Once he knows Quiet, then you can apply it when he barks at himself.

I really think he might be a smart little guy. Dogs aren't really self aware and I've never had a dog look into anything and react.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teach him the command "Quiet", using a clicker is the fastest way. Dogs are NOT good at generalization so just telling him No really means little to him. Once he knows Quiet, then you can apply it when he barks at himself.

I really think he might be a smart little guy. Dogs aren't really self aware and I've never had a dog look into anything and react.
Thanks very much. He's gotten everything we've taught him quickly, but he gets so riled up at his reflection it's hard to calm him down. Will try with some treats next time.

Might also look into anti-reflective strips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.