German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately Tanner has started barking and growling at people approaching us on our walk. He's always been rather protective of me, but he needs to knock this off. I've tried leash pops but they don't work. Right now the best thing seems to be to get him to focus on me. I don't know why he is seeing everyone as a threat. We've never had this problem before. :(

Any suggestions? We did TONS of socialization with him as a pup - we took him EVERYWHERE. He's 9 months old now, and neutered.

· Registered
9,604 Posts
Stosh began barking at people when he was about 7 mos or so. He's never growled, it's more of an alert bark not aggression. I used a prong collar for walking in public and that helped, also changing direction, walking in a circle, changing speed, anything to distract him. He's much better about it now but every once it a while someone will really get his attention and he'll bark- can't figure out which one will do it.

· Registered
12,395 Posts
If I can catch Hondo before the reaction (barking or growling) I have like an 80% success rate. As soon as I see him begin to focus I'll tell him to 'Leave It' and give him a very small pop - more like a nudge. If he doesn't re focus on something else, I'll say it again and give another pop with a little increase in preasure.

We went and visited a neighbor with goats yesterday. I really brought him to this threshold, but he did very well. However, their female Corgi decided that Hondo was not allowed so we had keep the visit short.

· Premium Member
751 Posts
I have 2 females 7 & 10 and they bark way to much if anyone comes over but they just run up to you barking and scaring the **** outta some but they would never bite. It's a competition I feel on who saw them first and who can get their first. I am in a wheelchair for the last 7 years and they know I can't stop them but if I was walking this would never happen.
I also feel a lot of times a dog barks because it feels the need to take charge, be the alpha. We must show our dogs we are in charge and barking/ growling is unacceptable. Some times it's something as easy as starting out on your walk the wrong way and your dog becomes the one in charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.