German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11wk old pup, Havok has been barking excessively at other people & dogs! He is already showing signs of reactivity! He barks at them when they walk by or when he sees them from a distance. He lunges at them as well and I say no and have him sit or I go the other way and try to redirect him. It's not working and he still barks and lunges at people and dogs walking by. It doesn't seem like he's barking aggressively, but more of an unsure, maybe fearful bark? When people and dogs come up to finally greet him, he's barking and barking but he's just so happy to meet them. So I'm assuming it's a happy, excited bark? I have only had him for 2 weeks now, and he was been like this since our first walk, but I thought he would grow out of it cause he's still a puppy. We work on our socialization daily, but it is obviously limited because he hasn't received his second series of shots yet. Any advice please? I do not want him to grow up reactive towards other dogs and people!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My puppy was the same way, but his started as early as 10 weeks. Archer couldn't even see a dog 6 houses down without having a meltdown. The main difference was that he bolted and tried to get the heck away from any dogs that he saw. He didn't want to visit with them! After doing some extensive work with him, he's a million times better and can now walk past other dogs without having a fit. I practiced Look At That with him constantly. You can look up videos on how to do that on Youtube. I basically just marked (said "yes" or clicked my clicker) the second he saw another dog then gave him an extremely high value treat. I was rewiring his brain to think, "Oh look! There's a dog! Now I get a piece of hot dog." Now he automatically looks to me for his treat whenever he sees a dog. That's the goal.

I also found some neutral adult dogs that I could practice with and let him interact with in a safe way. That has helped loads as well. Do you have any friends with dogs that you trust 100% to be vaccinated and not bark back at him or hurt him in any way?

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Relax and don't rush the process.He's only been in this earth for 11 short weeks and virtually everything is new and either exciting or scary.Walk on,stay calm,and it's not a good idea to let him greet people when he's excited.It can become a very difficult habit to break down the road.Reward him when he looks at you and when he exhibits a bit of calm self control

·
Registered
189 Posts
All great advice. I’ll add that give him space from these freaky things. If he’s scared of dogs find a distant field where you can hang out with him in comfort and see the scary dogs from afar. Yes and treat him with he looks. Slowly, you can close that gap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pytheis,

Thank you for your advice! I will start using the high value treat method. Yes, I currently have a female shepherd and he loves her and he has met all of my friend's dogs and he doesn't bark at them. He just barks at strangers (people and dogs) that walk by. When my female shepherd was a pup, she never barked at other dogs or people till she hit 6 months. So I was worried because he is only 11 wks old and is already showing signs of reactivity.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Pytheis,

Thank you for your advice! I will start using the high value treat method. Yes, I currently have a female shepherd and he loves her and he has met all of my friend's dogs and he doesn't bark at them. He just barks at strangers (people and dogs) that walk by. When my female shepherd was a pup, she never barked at other dogs or people till she hit 6 months. So I was worried because he is only 11 wks old and is already showing signs of reactivity.
Ah, okay. It sounds like he’s just unsure when he can’t greet them or overly excited then. How is his body language? Does he look tense or does he look excited? Either way, LAT and leave it will be useful here. Keep him at a distance he’s comfortable with and doesn’t bark, then slowly move closer. I know you said your female didn't bark until she was older, but shepherds are vocal dogs in general and sensitive to their environment. I’m sure you can get your guy to settle down with time, especially if he does well when he can greet dogs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say his body language is definitely tense until they finally come up close enough to meet and then his body language is all excited. He's definitely unsure/fearful from a distance then it's all excitement closer up. Thank you for the advice! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts