German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lay is scared of men so if we have a guy friend over she will bark and growl, (she has never done anything aggressive just vocal) so I have started putting her up until she chills then she can come back out, she will still growl under her breath but she is doing much better with this.

Now the current problem is I am having several guests over this weekend 3 of them being men who she has never met before. I am hoping to utilize this situation to help her with her fear and hopefully work past some of her barking.

So any advice on how to quickly socialize her/ make her feel comfortable?

Back story she was found thrown out of a car we are assuming by a man given her level of fear when she is approached by men.

·
Banned
311 Posts
If you have a MAN helper who will come over or if your guests will agree while there, muzzle the dog (soft nylon) Pet Supermarket etc... allow the dog to interact with constant encouragement and love and see how it goes. BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a MAN helper who will come over or if your guests will agree while there, muzzle the dog (soft nylon) Pet Supermarket etc... allow the dog to interact with constant encouragement and love and see how it goes. BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS!
I have a live in boyfriend, but she is a little indifferent to him :laugh2:

I actually really like that idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Try putting her up like you normally do.Let her out when she's calm and tell the men to ignore her and avoid eye contact.They could toss tiny bits of super high value treats close to her.No eye contact or approaching her whatsoever even if she gets brave and approaches for a sniff.They could hand her a treat and continue to ignore.If she gets feeling overwhelmed then back to her safe crate for a while.

She may never be totally comfortable with men but she can learn to feel calm at a particular distance or even up close if they don't reach for her or stare.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Try putting her up like you normally do.Let her out when she's calm and tell the men to ignore her and avoid eye contact.They could toss tiny bits of super high value treats close to her.No eye contact or approaching her whatsoever even if she gets brave and approaches for a sniff.They could hand her a treat and continue to ignore.If she gets feeling overwhelmed then back to her safe crate for a while.

She may never be totally comfortable with men but she can learn to feel calm at a particular distance or even up close if they don't reach for her or stare.
And renew your home owners insurance and triple confirm don't forget that!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Have you tried Lavender dog treats? I ordered some for this occasion to have them give her.

I am going to put her crate in my room so she will be able to retreat far away from the guests.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd ask the guys to not look at/talk to or try to reach out to the dog until she shows an interest in sniffing them and she relaxes.

The dog should just be encouraged to be comfortable to be in the presence of the men with out them putting any pressure on her.

allow the dog to interact with constant encouragement and love and see how it goes.
Would this include the guys reaching to the dog saying good girl. To me that is simply a wrong move to begin with. IMO better to allow the dog feel comfortable in the guys company and hopefully feel like investigating herself and trying to sniff them rather than them making any first moves.

If the guys remain neutral the dog can do it herself.

This theory is based on how a dog senses people and the enviroment. It first needs smell something to know what it is. A confident dog will just run up and smell the person straight away. With shy/fearful dogs they won't do this, so the person making the first move is likely to actually reinforce the dogs mistrust of them.

No matter what the dog the staying aloof at first and letting the dog smell you, see you and then hear you when it's comfortable, is the best way to go.

If a dog is barking at you, would you walk up to it with you hand out saying hey boy/girl?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This theory is based on how a dog senses people and the enviroment. It first needs smell something to know what it is. A confident dog will just run up and smell the person straight away. With shy/fearful dogs they won't do this, so the person making the first move is likely to actually reinforce the dogs mistrust of them.
In your opinion do you think I should have them leave their stuff in a room that she can go into with out them in there,so she can sniff their stuff and maybe gain confidence to be more comfortable around them?

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Have you tried Lavender dog treats? I ordered some for this occasion to have them give her.

I am going to put her crate in my room so she will be able to retreat far away from the guests.
Haven't tried em yet,I'll have to check it outHigh value to my pups is tiny bits of chicken hot dogs or any leftover meat that I chop up and freeze for later.

·
Banned
311 Posts
I'd ask the guys to not look at/talk to or try to reach out to the dog until she shows an interest in sniffing them and she relaxes.

The dog should just be encouraged to be comfortable to be in the presence of the men with out them putting any pressure on her.

Would this include the guys reaching to the dog saying good girl. To me that is simply a wrong move to begin with. IMO better to allow the dog feel comfortable in the guys company and hopefully feel like investigating herself and trying to sniff them rather than them making any first moves.

If the guys remain neutral the dog can do it herself.

No matter what the dog the staying aloof at first and letting the dog smell you, see you and then hear you when it's comfortable, is the best way to go.

If a dog is barking at you, would you walk up to it with you hand out saying hey boy/girl?
I think I made it very clear. Allow the DOG to interact.
:wink2:

Dogs bark at me constantly on and off the field. I do I must say.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't tried em yet,I'll have to check it outHigh value to my pups is tiny bits of chicken hot dogs or any leftover meat that I chop up and freeze for later.
I have dried beef liver that I normally give for treats, but I ordered lavender for the calming aspect for this occasion.

They smell delicious! Not going to lie I am very tempted to try one myself :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
In your opinion do you think I should have them leave their stuff in a room that she can go into with out them in there,so she can sniff their stuff and maybe gain confidence to be more comfortable around them?
Good question. It might be of some benefit but hard to say. I do see dogs always check bags instinctively anyways so might be good to do it with out that person there.

The dog still needs to actually get close enough to a person to sniff them. Maybe with some prior smell she links it together who they are quicker.

It is much more important the person doesn't do something to reinforce the dogs mistrust of them. Some people can be afraid of the dog. Some people can be too excited metting the dog and have an expectation of how a dog should greet people.

It seems most people want to make contact as soon as possible with a dog. Too soon imo. Someone stands there ground, the dog sees there profile, nothing threatening, smells them, and hears them say, speaking to you relaxed and the dog draws a picture of the person and begins to feel comfortable with the person. They realize the person is not a threat most importantly.

They turn to soon to the dog and looks it in the eye and puts out there hand, and says hi there, and a reactive dog will trigger into barking.

It works with excitable dogs too. If someone is cool the dog won't be jumping all over them. It will respect them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Good question. It might be of some benefit but hard to say. I do see dogs always check bags instinctively anyways so might be good to do it with out that person there.

The dog still needs to actually get close enough to a person to sniff them. Maybe with some prior smell she links it together who they are quicker.

It is much more important the person doesn't do something to reinforce the dogs mistrust of them. Some people can be afraid of the dog. Some people can be too excited metting the dog and have an expectation of how a dog should greet people.

It seems most people want to make contact as soon as possible with a dog. Too soon imo. Someone stands there ground, the dog sees there profile, nothing threatening, smells them, and hears them say, speaking to you relaxed and the dog draws a picture of the person and begins to feel comfortable with the person. They realize the person is not a threat most importantly.

They turn to soon to the dog and looks it in the eye and puts out there hand, and says hi there, and a reactive dog will trigger into barking.

It works with excitable dogs too. If someone is cool the dog won't be jumping all over them. It will respect them.
Thank you!

·
Banned
311 Posts
Thank you!
The dog will smell them long before they get to the bag or the person I assure you! Anyway, you have plenty of response here, Best of luck to you and yours!

Next time I come by i'll throw a few treats at your dog, and see if that helps anything!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You also want to try not make the dog the center of attention. It can be difficult. Sometimes it is better to have the dog away from the action when people arrive and when they settle bring her out. Or let her come out herself.

Only give treats when the dog is comfortable and relaxed.

research desensitizing too
Desensitizing and Counter-Conditioning: Overcoming Your Dog?s Issues

Sometimes just get the guests and go for a walk together with the dog. The dog usually switchs mode walking. The people get to see her in a none confrontational way, and you return together to the house. You simply avoid the greeting which can go one way or the other.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Your dog is making "independent decisions as to who is "acceptable" and who is not. That is not her call it's yours. I think "this" weekend is a pretty short timeline to address this now?? Your dog has already told you I have a "people issue" ... take her at her word and make "adjustments to your expectations."

Yes you can slap a muzzle on the dog and cram "men" into her face, ie "Flood The Dog" force her into an "uncomfortable" situation for "her" and "break down the resistance." I suppose that works?? Not what I did/do and not what I advise.

The first time I "understood" that ... I had a problem was when company came over for the first time. Rocky happened to be in "Place" and he greeted each new arrival with a "Cold Hard Stare and a low Growl???" :confused::eek:

He was already in "Place" and did not move just locked eyes and kept everyone in sight ... good enough. "Place" it is. So he could "watch" and not interact, I kept "company out of his face." I was not willing to take the "Cesar" approach ... "negotiate with the dog entrance of company into the home,"that is not his job (my dog), it's mine. I have a "Zero" risk policy myself. People don't need a courage test to be "allowed" into my home with my dogs.

How I did it is here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7897425-post21.html

And it's not "Rocket Science" anyone can do it if they make "Good Choices" for their dog. But you're not going to get "that" done in 3 days.

And for more insight ... since people deal /discover this "issue" all the time and since a member decided to ask first ... see here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/646033-how-do-you-socialize-working-line-dog.html

I would as others have said "limit" her interaction with company and or Crate her. It's a bit late to start fixing this now. Best course of action ... do no harm. :)

·
Banned
311 Posts
Please don't "Yes you can slap a muzzle on the dog and cram "men" into her face"

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!

PLEASE DO NOT USE AN E-COLLAR INITIALLY, if you feel it necessary absolutely necessary then graduate to that if all else fails!

Simply place the muzzle onto the dog and allow the dog to interact... NUFF SAID! ROFLMFBO

Is that a working line dog by chance?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your dog is making "independent decisions as to who is "acceptable" and who is not. That is not her call it's yours. I think "this" weekend is a pretty short timeline to address this now?? Your dog has already told you I have a "people issue" ... take her at her word and make "adjustments to your expectations."

Yes you can slap a muzzle on the dog and cram "men" into her face, ie "Flood The Dog" force her into an "uncomfortable" situation for "her" and "break down the resistance." I suppose that works?? Not what I did/do and not what I advise.

The first time I "understood" that ... I had a problem was when company came over for the first time. Rocky happened to be in "Place" and he greeted each new arrival with a "Cold Hard Stare and a low Growl???" :confused::eek:

He was already in "Place" and did not move just locked eyes and kept everyone in sight ... good enough. "Place" it is. So he could "watch" and not interact, I kept "company out of his face." I was not willing to take the "Cesar" approach ... "negotiate with the dog entrance of company into the home,"that is not his job (my dog), it's mine. I have a "Zero" risk policy myself. People don't need a courage test to be "allowed" into my home with my dogs.

How I did it is here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7897425-post21.html

And it's not "Rocket Science" anyone can do it if they make "Good Choices" for their dog. But you're not going to get "that" done in 3 days.

And for more insight ... since people deal /discover this "issue" all the time and since a member decided to ask first ... see here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/development-socialization/646033-how-do-you-socialize-working-line-dog.html

I would as others have said "limit" her interaction with company and or Crate her. It's a bit late to start fixing this now. Best course of action ... do no harm. :)
Hi, I have been working on this issue with her since I got her. I have been working with a trainer and I was asking for advice to help her with this major step. Not just addressing this now.

I in no way am trying to fix this over 3 days it is simply the first time I have had company for the weekend since I got her.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts