German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger is 10 months old and he has barked a total of about 10 times in his short life. Five of those times were at other dogs, 4 of which I know to be dog and/or people aggressive. I don't know the 5th dog. In all cases we were not close to the dogs and 4 dogs weren't even barking or growling. Oddly, one dog was on TV. We were watching Ceasar Milan and Ranger ignored several dogs barking, but then there was one dog that Ceasar called aggressive, and when he barked Ranger jumped up and barked.

So my question is, how do dogs know another dog is aggressive? Do they smell a certain way? Does their bark sound a certain way? How far away can a dog sense another is aggressive? Ranger was a good 50 to 100 feet from some of the aggressive dogs and the dogs were not acting aggressive towards him.

The really scary part is that Ranger has barked at one person while we were walking. Makes me wonder what that person is like. I did not know the person. The remainder of the 10 barks were during play or when he was surprised by a fire alarm.

·
5,627 Posts
Pheromones. Dogs and people give off a certain smell when they are nervous, angry, sick, etc. It's how some dogs can sniff out cancer or detect seizures.

Raven was always like that when she was younger. She never reacted to other dogs or people so when she did, I took notice. Usually, the other dog would react to something (not her) soon after and it was clear why she didn't like them. She also only growls at bad guys on TV. It was kind of eerie. I am sure the music cued her in somehow.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think your dog is deciding when to bark. what do you
do about it when your dog barks?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
He's still young and will probably bark more and more as he grows up.

Majority of aggressive dogs react due to fear or nervousness...most dogs can pick up on these two "smells" quicker than other ones. This is probably why your dog reacted back. As to the person...I wouldn't be thinking that the person is bad, I'd wonder why your dog is barking at someone that is not doing anything aggressive towards you. Think of how it looks to that person, that your GSD is just randomly barking at them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doggiedad, when I was raising Ranger for the Seeing Eye I was instructed to correct him when he barked so I have continued doing that. It is a little tough though because he only lets out one bark and he has only done it about 10 times. So I never really no when to anticipate it and once he has barked once he is done. Still, i firmly say "No Ranger."

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martemchik, i am sure that Ranger will bark more as he gets older. Not really looking forward to that. I love that he barely barks.

As for the person, I was really just kidding when I suggested that he was a bad person. I don't think Ranger scared him though. He was about 75 feet away and Ranger was on a leash. Ranger barked once and stopped. I am not sure that he even knew Ranger was barking at him. But you are totally right that it is important to teach my dog, especially a GSD, not to bark at people. Do you think that saying "no" when he barks is enough? Any other suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts