German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kipp has yet to bark at all since I got him. For those that don't know, he's 2 years old from a local shelter.

How can I make him bark? I'm beginning to think he doesn't know how.

Also, what method can I use to stop him from jumping on people when he gets excited?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Give him some time, he's probably just adjusting to his new home. Did you ask the shelter if they ever heard him bark? Has your vet had a look? I'm not expert, but I'd just guess he's adjusting and will come around. Just a warning though, if he's anything like my lucy, once they start to bark you're going to wish it was back to the way it was when he didnt want to. Got any pictures?

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Please be happy that your pup doesn't bark a lot. My crew went by the group name "The Barker Sisters" for a reason.

So far as teaching not to jump, why not train jumping on command? That might give you a handle on it as your dog will begin to think you have something to say about jumping.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Our adopted girl rarely barks as well. I'm thinking she was abused (there is evidence of abuse elsewhere) when she barked, so therefore doesn't. I seriously have only heard her a handful of times in the 4 months we've had her. She did bark when a stranger came to the door one time but quit when I said "its okay". That made me feel a tad better!!

She likes to jump as well to get my attention. I'll say "off" and put her into a sit. When she sits, I give her all my attention and praise. She's learned fast that sitting is how she gets loved on...not jumping!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My cattledog was a humane society rescue, I got her at 18 months. I think it was over a month before we heard her bark other than outside at a squirrel. The flip side is once she discovered that she could bark inside she did. Frequently. Never did get her to bark when people came to the door, but she would to: go out, come in, try and get me to hurry and feed her, get someone to play with her, or just because she could.

Enjoy the quiet while you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts