German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am so grateful for this site - I've only asked a question once before (and THANK YOU to everyone who responded and I'm sorry if I didn't thank you directly) but I lurk and have learned so much. I am brand new to the GSD and am reading, watching, and learning everything I can.

I have an almost 11 month old GSD. She is a beautiful girl but quite a handful. We started out with clicker training and she was crate trained. She knows sit, down, stay, paw, touch. She will come only "if she wants to" and her “leave it” is not good, in other words a quick tug on leash and she leaves it, but if she doesn't want to and I have no way to enforce the rule she does what she wants. No accidents in her crate and we keep her in an x-pen in the house with us in the family room. If she comes out she is on leash so we can keep a close eye on her. She gets lots of exercise - both “structured” and “fun go sniff” walks and we have a pretty big backyard where she runs around free but someone is always with her to keep an eye on her. We do tug and her “drop it” is fairly reliable and she loves flirt pole. If she decides not to "drop it" when I tell her the game is over. We’ve done group classes at a PP/FF place for the basics. Very low food drive (completely different from our previous dog - a lab). She was almost impossible to walk (super strong and lunges, growls, and tries to attack cars & I've read the threads on here and tried everything) but we finally introduced the prong (after watching numerous YouTube videos and talking with a private trainer AND after I sprained my hand and developed cervical neuralgia in my neck and head from her pulling/lunging) and now walking her is SO much better for everyone.
We have the mini educator ecollar but have never used it - my trainer does not work with them often enough for me to feel comfortable and I’ve been reading, watching, and learning but have yet to use it because I want to feel 100% ready. I can't find a trainer nearby who's technique with using the ecollar is what I like (ie. if Larry Krohn moved in next door I'd be happy).
If you’ve read this far THANK YOU!
Now my QUESTION:
Any advice on how to decrease/teach her to stop barking whenever someone enters or leaves the room or we walk in the general direction of the front door? Whether she’s in her crate or x-pen, if one of us gets up and walks to the other room or walks IN TO the room or comes in from outside she goes ballistic. We’ve tried ignoring, calm matter-of-fact reassurance, praise when quiet and she still goes crazy. It’s gotten so we don’t want to change position for fear it will set her off. Also when we come in from an errand, etc. she goes ballistic. I'm fine with some initial barking but once she's sees it's us, I'd love it if we could get her to calm down!
We do NILIF: no meals, water, leaving crate, walking out of x-pen, going outside, etc. without a calm sit and an "okay" or cue from us. She is never in her crate for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time (and even that's rare).
ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Thank you so much!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel for you, and for those of us that think that there is something wrong because our dog does not bark, yours is the other side of the spectrum. Hope folks in the forum, can provide viable solutions for your issue. As for owners like me, that thought that there is something wrong with my dog because he hasn't bark once in 7 months; its time to count our blessings, many times over.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
If this were my dog, some things I would try:

Try to give her long free hikes out and about where she can really run off her energy. My 2 yr. old rescue gets 3-5

free hikes/runs every single day on my 10 acres. She also gets 1-2 long hikes out in the woods (on long lead) weekly with my son

Look at her food. I've always gotten my GSD off of high carb kibble because I've found it to be too high energy food

as compared to a raw diet. My 2 GSD's both calmed down immensely within weeks of going to RAW.

Your dog is still a young, healthy dog and may have a working personality. Some dogs need a job, everyday.

My new rescue's job is Farm protection and gopher turtle patrol. She takes these jobs very seriously and loves her

job. If she didn't get this kind of daily exercise, she would be a nightmare, behaviorally, if she was contained as

much as your dog. Some dogs are not cut out to be a housebound, quiet, pet. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
Well this gave me a laugh. Dog number I don't know how many about 10, puppy number 5. Touch the door knob, or put on your coat, or or or and she's been out 5 minutes before --- you'd think a dog was being slaughtered. It's really fine here because both doors open off of narrow spaces and the echo enhancement is superb. The best, absolutely best is to just ignore it. I've tried all sorts of stuff to extinguish it, not opening the door until she quits (yeah well then touch the knob and off we go again). Once I am to the point of the storm door, I can have them sit and wait until they are released. That = a nice bit of quiet before they are released but I have yet to conquer the build-up. I've tried explaining that shrill voices are unpleasant and unattractive (that's a joke). ..... so my problem child with the shrill voice is only 5 yo. Interestingly enough, if she is leashed before the door, very quiet (well, relatively --- often totally quiet) which is handy for staying in motels.

So once again, I offer no real help. Maybe buy some ear protection for the humans??

And BTW we walk the perimeter of about 6 acres twice a day and she has access to that at other times. The screeching is no different on days when she has been worked and days when she hasn't. (best of luck to the OP)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm old, so perhaps my view is a bit old school. But for the life of me I can't imagine what you're expecting your dog to understand by ignoring her bad behavior?!! It's self rewarding, she's not going to quit on her own. Since you don't feel comfortable using your e-collar, get a small spray bottle and spray her with water when she barks at people who live there, or when you go toward the door. Obviously you stop immediately when she stops barking. If you do that consistently for a few days she *should* get the idea!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

After an episode tonight where my girl's recall revealed itself to be even worse than I thought, I realize I need a trainer specific to the breed, or at least very familiar with GSD's/working class dogs.

PLEASE: ANY RECS FOR TRAINERS IN THE ORANGE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA AREA???? I am getting so fed up with myself and trying so hard not to lose faith but I need help.

Thank you!

Don't know if it's okay to do so but will also try to post in the Trainer Recommendation section although it seems pretty quiet over there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Part of me thinks she'll need to learn how to speak on command and be quiet on command.

You said she goes ballistic when someone enters the room or comes in from outside or when walking to the door - does she seem excited or fearful?
As Jax08 asked, is this only when she's confined (crate/leash/etc)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts