German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately Durzo has found is big dog bark. He has barked at people at the door and some people on the sidewalk too (if they're behaving weirdly like just standing and watching us).
It has always been more of an, "I don't know you/what are you doing" bark.
But something new happened today on our hike. Bruce (my husband) and I were stopped on the trail waiting for our friends to*come back down.
Bruce was on one side of the narrow trail, I was on the other with Durzo.
A couple came walking up so I crouched down and took hold of Durzo's collar, telling him to sit. I thought he'd try to run up and want to play.
Instead he big dog barked and growled. It was a serious, "I'm warning you, you come any closer to my human and I'll bite," bark and growl. He stayed in a sit the entire time though.
The couple took a very wide berth around us, and the guy commented something about Durzo being on his way to being a good protector.
It was really unusual because usually Durzo likes greeting people, and he loves the attention. Usually I have to keep him from jumping excitedly all over everyone (when they're not acting strangely).
Later on while walking again we saw a dog with his two owners, and another couple walking as well.
He had no issues with these people.
It just made me wonder what caused him to react to the first couple.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think it was the narrow trail and your Durzo was on the alert because of the closeness and the confined area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our Maggie does the opposite she will not bark or growl when taking for walks. She will only sit and stare. Only once has she barked at another dog and I was shocked. This is nice now but we want her to bark at strangers or at least show some protection. She is sweet to kids and lets them pet her and even gives kisses back. She is 8 months old, at what age will she show some protection or bark/growl?

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
You may be giving him cues by holding him by his collar and emitting tension. Next time, keep him busy with some obedience exercises and treat him for his good behavior as soon as you see that he sees something that might trigger this barking behavior.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I was tense without realizing it.
I don't mind that he behaved this way, since it isn't with everyone that he's like that.
If it starts happening more often I will definitely start distractions/redirection etc with him :)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Our Maggie does the opposite she will not bark or growl when taking for walks. She will only sit and stare. Only once has she barked at another dog and I was shocked. This is nice now but we want her to bark at strangers or at least show some protection. She is sweet to kids and lets them pet her and even gives kisses back. She is 8 months old, at what age will she show some protection or bark/growl?

Your Maggie is doing great. She is very self assured and confident of her strength and ability. The sit and the stare shows that she is on the alert. She watches the other people to see how they react. A dog who barks and growls at strangers who are not threatening when being walked is acting out of at least poor manners and at the worst fear aggression. Both problems you are fortunate not to have.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A dog who barks and growls at strangers who are not threatening when being walked is acting out of at least poor manners and at the worst fear aggression./QUOTE]
I agree.
I'm glad Durzo doesn't behave this way.
Again, if what he did on the hike escalates and he does it more often, then I know I'll definitely have work to do. :)
I do like that it seemed he was being protective, but I know it isn't acceptable if it happens often.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>>>> is that weird behaviour that someone stands and looks at you and your dog? i don't think your dog should react to that.

2>>>>> a couple passed you and your husband on a trail and he reacted.
someone passing you on a trail is that weird behaviour?

your dog probably needs more training and socializing.

So lately Durzo has found is big dog bark.

1 >>>>> He has barked at people at the door and some people on the sidewalk too (if they're behaving weirdly like just standing and watching us). <<<<<

It has always been more of an, "I don't know you/what are you doing" bark. But something new happened today on our hike. Bruce (my husband) and I were stopped on the trail waiting for our friends to*come back down.

2 >>>>> Bruce was on one side of the narrow trail, I was on the other with Durzo. A couple came walking up so I crouched down and took hold of Durzo's collar, telling him to sit. I thought he'd try to run up and want to play. Instead he big dog barked and growled. It was a serious, "I'm warning you, you come any closer to my human and I'll bite," bark and growl.<<<<<

He stayed in a sit the entire time though.
The couple took a very wide berth around us, and the guy commented something about Durzo being on his way to being a good protector.
It was really unusual because usually Durzo likes greeting people, and he loves the attention. Usually I have to keep him from jumping excitedly all over everyone (when they're not acting strangely).
Later on while walking again we saw a dog with his two owners, and another couple walking as well.
He had no issues with these people.
It just made me wonder what caused him to react to the first couple.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The people he barked at that were staring was weird (its happened twice)
They literally just stood here, not moving, or anything, it was dark. And he may very well have been responding to my nerves more than his. I know I have to remain calm :)
My puppy does need more socialization for sure.
He's not yet four months old. We are currently in an class to help with it.
I wasn't trying to start an argument or say you were wrong.
I was just trying to show that although I wasnt concerned with his behavior because it isn't something that happens regularly, I'm not encouraging it either.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why do you want your dog to bark at strangers. when you're
out with your dog everybody that comes near you and your dog
is a stranger. you don't you're dog deciding when to bark at people.
some GSD's are protective some aren't. people get a dog and they
instantly need to be protected. protected from what? who protected
you before you had the dog? if i wanted a protective dog i would have
him trained by a professional and i don't mean i would send him away
for training. i would attend classes with him and i would handle him.

Our Maggie does the opposite she will not bark or growl when taking for walks. She will only sit and stare. Only once has she barked at another dog and I was shocked.

>>>>> This is nice now but we want her to bark at strangers or at least show some protection. She is sweet to kids and lets them pet her and even gives kisses back. She is 8 months old, at what age will she show some protection or bark/growl? <<<<<

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
He's not yet four months old. http://www.petguide.com/mobile
Pups at this age with this kind of behavior need more socialization and focus on you. It is fear based and has nothing to do with protection.
Work with him on these narrow trails and also in the dark. Many people forget socialization in the dark.
You shouldn't give im time to have him stare back at people who stare at him. Keep him busy and distracted. If you stop when people are staring at him, of course he'll focus on what is most distracting. But that should be you instead. Or ask people to give him a treat, ask them questions, talk to them, greet them happily to break / prevent that stare. That has worked well for me and WD in situations like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts