German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willow went into the field with me today, helping our maintenance guys repair fence along the border of a wildlife management area. She was generally pretty careful around the barbed wire but a couple times she barreled right through it without seeming to remember it had sharp things sticking out of it. Each time she maybe looked a bit surprised for a second but then went right about her business, her behavior never changed at all. Each time I gave her a quick once-over but didn't notice any injuries.

Well tonight, roughly 7 hours later, while we were walking I patted her head and felt something just below her ear, right where her ear attaches to the top of her head. Sure enough, there's a little clump of dried blood. I tried to examine it (her fur is REALLY thick) and can see a little puncture in the skin.

She didn't react at all when I was touching it, so it clearly doesn't bother her much, and it stopped bleeding a while ago so...do I need to worry? Is this worth a vet visit or just home monitoring? I did put a bit of triple antibiotic on it when I got home, but I felt like it was too late to try to rinse the wound with water/saline.

I know I worry too much but would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
It will most likely be fine.Keep it clean and dry and watch for swelling.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think if you keep it clean, as Terri said, you should be good.

We discovered a bunch of scabs on Xerxes - they're not puncture wounds from wrestling with Agis, we're pretty sure, but are where his harness is, and he has thin fur. We washed them with hibitane and dried well, then left them to stay dry and fall off, which they've started doing.

One thing with the saline - when Agis was a little puppy he licked Neb's eye, which then got horribly goopy and infected on a weekend, so on the Sunday I went to the drug store and picked up a saline solution for wounds. Not realizing the force the spray exits with, I aimed at Neb's eye and let loose. Poor guy. It DID work well. So if you do use saline solution on her, you should also be prepared to hold her still. (Maybe you knew this; I sure didn't)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I was thinking too, we trimmed back Xerxes's fur around the scabs to let more air in and allow us to see them better.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would keep it clean and dry. Antibiotic ointment or spray. I would just watch it. I would have more concern if the barbed wire was old and dirty as opposed to new and clean and the wound was very deep or large. Since you didn't say which it was just keep that in mind.
Any sign of tenderness, swelling, redness, yellow or green oozing or smell see a vet.
The reality is dogs get scraps and minor wounds. They usually do well with home care particularly in areas they can't lick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also keep her away from hazards of you see them.
I mean that goes without saying. We were fixing the fence along its entire length though, so we were beside the fence the whole time. I lifted the wires for her whenever I crossed (she likes to follow me) but there was no way I could watch her 100% for those few times she darted through. And most of those times, she was careful about the wire. I think in the few instances she hit it she just got carried away with wanting to see/smell something on the other side.
I would keep it clean and dry. Antibiotic ointment or spray. I would just watch it. I would have more concern if the barbed wire was old and dirty as opposed to new and clean and the wound was very deep or large. Since you didn't say which it was just keep that in mind.
Any sign of tenderness, swelling, redness, yellow or green oozing or smell see a vet.
The reality is dogs get scraps and minor wounds. They usually do well with home care particularly in areas they can't lick.
Thanks. The fence was newish; certainly not old and rusty, but not brand new. Fortunately Montana is pretty dry.

I tried to take a closer look yesterday and can definitely see a barb-sized puncture, plus a scrape trailing away from it. Didn't look deep, but certainly seemed like a clean hole right through the hide to where I could see the tissue underneath. Gross. Yeah I may cut away some of the fur to see it better. It's just not in a great spot....

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
If the scab is dry and not swollen (which can point to pus build-up from an infection) she should be fine.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
One of mine ran thru a barbed wire fence in FL once. If not for the other dog sniffing out his punctures they would have been hard to find. He had some bad ones. I treated him at home, he was fine. Depends on how good of a "doctor" you are ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts