German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share this dog with the group. I am currently living on Terceira, small Portuguese island in the North Atlantic and the culture is interesting to say the least. The island has native cattle dog that recently got recognition from the Portuguese Kennel Club, its still fairly raw breed, breed by farmers that will not keep a dog around that doesn't prove itself useful. They are commonly seen riding in the back of the farmers truck and once the truck is parked sitting under the truck and guarding it while the owner in store untied.

They crop the ears in a round shape and dock tails of most dogs here and the Barbados is no exception. Not sure of the reasoning the rounded ear crop, I will try to remember to ask the vet next time I take one of my GSDs in.

Here is a few videos I found of them working. Still pretty rare breed outside of the Azores and probably nearly none in the US.

Barbados da Terceira - Melhores cenas 2010 - YouTube

Vacas 2011 Vol 1 - YouTube

Here is a picture I took of one one the way to work yesterday in the back of a truck.

I have debating back and forth about get one before we leave here when Immo is about 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty cool dogs! They seem fearless. :)
When I got behind that truck Sunday, was afraid the dog was going to slide off around turns, but he seemed to relax and enjoy the ride. On this island, they don't have to herd much, the cows are that well trained, but are still used to control the bulls that are used for the bull fights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts