German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The high school that I have been taking my dog to for play and training is really starting to crack down on their no dogs on campus policy. They even have gone to the extent of hiring a security person to patrol on weekends. The security guard was pretty nice about asking me to leave, said it was the worst part of his job. Then on Sunday I went back, apparently it was a teacher work day and the wife of the athletic director asked me if I was taking my dog on the filed to play and told me dogs are banned. She was a real b****h about it. I asked her who she was and she points to her husband or fellow staff and says he is the athletic director and they ban dogs because the field "Is for the kids". I explained that I always clean up after my dog and in fact I clean up other dog poop there because I don't want to step in it along with trash I find on the field. Athletic director tells me there is no such thing as an immaculate cleanup of poop. He has never seen my dog's poop. They are like mini bolders and don't leave any residue. Anyway I just took her for a walk on the campus after that runin with the teacher and she said "lets just take down his license number" as if I committed a federal offense. While walking I ran into the same security guard and told him I was just walking her around the block, he was fine with that.
It's too bad that there are fewer and fewer placed that we can bring our dogs these days. I don't like dog parks because of irresponsible owners and their dogs starting fights.

Glenn

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Why would you take your dog there if you know that dogs are banned?

Probably too many people let their dogs poop and don't clean up after them - a big cause of folks not allowing dogs in places.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
We are one of the few schools that allow dogs on the grounds. The few of us that bring our dogs are very conscious of where we take them. children are playing on the fields. Just because your dog has poops like mini boulders and is worm free...doesn't mean everyone has dogs like that. Please try to put yourself in their position...if they say no dogs...it means no dogs for anyone. They can't pick and choose.

And while we're on the taxes and salary subject...my taxes help pay just as someone that doesn't own a dog helps to pay and our kids play on the same fields. We also need to have a little respect for others wishes. If you had already been told once by the security guard that they no longer allowed dogs then you shouldn't have had your dog by the field.

Not that I think the woman couldn't have been a little nicer about it and there was no reason to take your license plate number....

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
As for taxes, I pay for schools and don't have kids. I do not feel to terribly guilty if someone who doesn't have a dog pays for dogs.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
The high school that I have been taking my dog to for play and training is really starting to crack down on their no dogs on campus policy. They even have gone to the extent of hiring a security person to patrol on weekends. The security guard was pretty nice about asking me to leave, said it was the worst part of his job. Then on Sunday I went back, apparently it was a teacher work day and the wife of the athletic director asked me if I was taking my dog on the filed to play and told me dogs are banned. She was a real b****h about it. I asked her who she was and she points to her husband or fellow staff and says he is the athletic director and they ban dogs because the field "Is for the kids". I explained that I always clean up after my dog and in fact I clean up other dog poop there because I don't want to step in it along with trash I find on the field. Athletic director tells me there is no such thing as an immaculate cleanup of poop. He has never seen my dog's poop. They are like mini bolders and don't leave any residue. Anyway I just took her for a walk on the campus after that runin with the teacher and she said "lets just take down his license number" as if I committed a federal offense. While walking I ran into the same security guard and told him I was just walking her around the block, he was fine with that.
It's too bad that there are fewer and fewer placed that we can bring our dogs these days. I don't like dog parks because of irresponsible owners and their dogs starting fights.

Glenn
:mad:I think it is great. You should not take your dog to a field where children play. I coached baseball for 8 years and these dogs owners would bring their dogs down to the baseball field and let them poo everywhere. It got so bad we the coachs and parents had to walk every inch of that field before practice. I was coaching 8 year olds one time when one of my players dove for a ball and guess what?? He came up with poo all over him inculding his face. I never saw that child again and the league almost got sued over it. Do you think the tax payers want you and your dog running all over there fields? It is for the children, not our dogs. I have heard in Canada if you take a dog to a park you get fined no questions? You really should have thought about that before you got a big dog. Sorry, but you really whinned to the wrong guy. And yes I play ball with my dog almost every day, but not at parks or schools. If you did not get your dog socialized enough when he was young so that you could take him to the dog parks, that is YOUR fault.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
that said, I have to agree that if all dogs are not allowed, do not bring your dog. BUT, I would ask where this is published and who made the ordinance. Because some dog-haters who think they have more right than you becuase they are employees, teachers, coaches, etc, etc, might be sharing their own views and not necessarily what is the written policy. If you see there is a policy and you do not like it, go to your school board and work to get it changed. Probably will not work, but the squeaky wheel...

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
I took my sister's three year olds out to their front yard, and the one landed in deer poop. She survived it. No one made a big fuss over it. How do you keep the deer and geese off your field.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
What I had in elementary school for a playground was a parking lot with some wild honey suckles. The last year I was there, they put a fence around it so we would not abandon ship into the main road. Sometimes I think we go way overboard on kids. It doesn't make them grow up any better.

Kids used to walk through streets of horse droppings and urine to get to school.

Birds poop on the play ground and on the cars. So far bird poop has not killed children.

The idea that everything has to be perfect and sterile and there better not be a dog hair around our little darlings is a bit rediculous.

I think that making dogs stay away is probably more about the liablity of a dog biting a child than dogs pooping. If I take my dogs to a school yard it is always on a week-end or late at night when no kids are around. There are no signs banning them, so I take it they are allowed. I clean up after them, and so far have not been kicked out.

Been kicked out of other places. But when I called and inquired, they allowed that I could bring the dogs, but to please stay out of certain areas.

So it does not hurt to find out who made the policy, when, etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just as much cringe when i see people bring dogs on kids play grounds and have their dogs go through kids tunnels and slides. Kids play area are meant for kids not for dogs :).

I do think the lady should have been nicer to you, don't take offense though if they say no dogs allowed. I take mine out to the country where they can just run free. Maybe there is an open field somewhere where you can take your dog?. I don't like dog parks either.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have heard in Canada if you take a dog to a park you get fined no questions?

I'm from Canada and lived there most of my life, and I have never heard that rule. I've always walked my dogs in public parks. I've even let them run around a baseball field, never been in trouble, warned, etc. No signs are anywhere about no dogs, just says "Poop and scoop". I used to let me dogs run around the jungle gyms too, they had loads of fun.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Kind of like what Selzer indicated, I have an issue taking my dogs to any of the three school/park fields in my neighborhood at times due to the goose droppings (but mostly because my dogs want to graze on them).

If all dog owners were responsible, there would probably be more acceptance. I use our local school field even though there is a leash law. However, if there were an issue raised I would stop.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I'm from Canada and lived there most of my life, and I have never heard that rule. I've always walked my dogs in public parks. I've even let them run around a baseball field, never been in trouble, warned, etc. No signs are anywhere about no dogs, just says "Poop and scoop". I used to let me dogs run around the jungle gyms too, they had loads of fun.
I live in Washington, you know the west coast, and I have been told this by more than one person.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Why not every dog, so long as their owner is responsible? Are kids going to DIE if they sit somewhere a dog sat? Sorry, people SMOKE in playgrounds -- that is far worse.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No such policy around here either. "Poop and scoop" signs are up and that's it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think dog owners get the short end of the stick because of other dog owners. Right now, we take our dogs to fenced baseball fields on private property but we have permission to be there, we have *never* left a poop behind, if it's really wet we don't go so the dogs aren't tearing up the manicured lawns, and if people show up to play ball (even if they aren't scheduled), we move immediately. But we used to go to a dog beach only to one day find a "No Dogs" sign posted. I contacted the commissioner to make sure this was legit and not some person who got annoyed and simply put it there. He said that the county health department had advised the beach be closed to dogs after numerous problems with poop on the beach. So there you have it, everything is ruined because of other dog owners. I wrote a sympathetic response and apologized on behalf of dog owners, but it is what it is. The commissioner did not want to put up the sign, it was dog owners' fault.

By bringing dogs to sites where they are already banned, it just makes it look worse for dog owners and gives them even more reasons to ban dogs. I would rather put the effort into starting a new dog friendly park than fighting with rules that are already in place or dealing with the consequences of breaking them. The problem I see with the OP's situation is that even if the authorities were convinced that the dog is cleaned up after, no one has the time to be policing everyone. If one dog is allowed, then other people will come with their dogs, and who wants to inspect each dog and each poop to say who can stay and who can't?

Many of us bring dogs to public places and give humans "the right of way" so to speak but for every one of us that follows the rules, the leash laws, and are responsible with poop pick up there are probably five dog owners that bring poorly trained dogs and allow them to run amuck and do not clean up after them.

We've had the best luck finding private properties (business parks and lawns, private schools, personal land) and getting permission to use them. This way we can also control which people and dogs get to come.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Why not every dog, so long as their owner is responsible? Are kids going to DIE if they sit somewhere a dog sat? Sorry, people SMOKE in playgrounds -- that is far worse.
It is illegal to smoke on the ground of a public school in Pennsylvania. Let's put this another way...what if those of us with children, or borrowed children, took them to a dog park and then let them run wild. So the dog park puts up a sign that says No Children. And the parents, with good children, complain because it wasn't their kid.

If my kid picked up worms from dog poop on a soccer field I'm not going to be to happy. I have a dog. I'm responsible and don't take any of them where they are not allowed just as I don't take my kids into a bar where they aren't allowed.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Birds poop on the play ground and on the cars. So far bird poop has not killed children.

The idea that everything has to be perfect and sterile and there better not be a dog hair around our little darlings is a bit rediculous.

I think that making dogs stay away is probably more about the liablity of a dog biting a child than dogs pooping.
I would guess the issue is both potential bites and poop. And for the record, dog poop can be incredibly dangerous to kids. We're not talking about keeping "little darlings" in a sterile environment, we're talking about things like blindness. Ingesting soil with round worm contamination can make children blind. Permanently. Round worms are incredibly common in dogs and pose no major threat, but that's a pretty big deal for a child. Granted, that's more of a threat for young children who put everything in their mouths than high schoolers, but even so, I don't want my kids having to worry about landing in unknown dog poop when they're trying to play.

In my area you aren't allowed to take dogs into public parks. That bums me out and I wish things were different, but I also understand why the rule exists and I obey it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts