German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else give their dogs bananas? I'm curious if anyone else's dogs are banana crazy! Riley is my first dog out of the bunch who doesnt like them. I've caught the others sniffing them out and begging for a piece when we are eating them. Is this weird? Should we stop allowing them to have some? or is it okay. Everything i've searched on the matter, bananas arent even on the list of good or bad.

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Does anyone else give their dogs bananas? .... Everything i've searched on the matter, bananas arent even on the list of good or bad. Opinions?
I think bananas are one of the fruits people are supposed to eat in moderation when they're on the diet because the sugar content is high. Other than that, they're a good source of potassium. Have no idea how that applies to dogs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use banana chips as treats. They last a long time in plastic containers, and cost $1.29 a pound. Needless to say that's a lot for dried banana chips!

Arlo has been fine.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k just checking. Shelby and Shasta just about jumped in my lap for my banana and Riley being the picky eater he is kept his distance though he did eat the small piece i gave him.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Kai used to love banana chips! I do not know of any banana rated problems. However, as with any treat use sparingly!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Akira loves apples....my SO eats them a lot and she knows the second he's eating one. He lets her nibble off the core and she's great about not biting more then the edges of the remains off. It's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm sure everyone knows this but I'm going to be naggy mom for a second-
Be careful for apple seeds they contain Cyanide.

Back to your regular programming, and I can't wait to go home and see if Shenzi likes apples/bananas!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think bananas are one of the fruits people are supposed to eat in moderation when they're on the diet because the sugar content is high. Other than that, they're a good source of potassium. Have no idea how that applies to dogs.
Right, bananas are a weight builder, not a diet food. Grapes are the same way....FULL of sugar.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm sure everyone knows this but I'm going to be naggy mom for a second-
Be careful for apple seeds they contain Cyanide.

Back to your regular programming, and I can't wait to go home and see if Shenzi likes apples/bananas!
He holds the core, she doesn't get to just chew on it. :)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Chief used to love bananas. Wolfie hates them.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I have a list somewhere of all the good and bad fruits and veggies for dogs and their values and side affects for dogs...let me find it and ill type it up on here for you...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Panzer (also Kenzie my old girl Dalmatian) love bananas, though Panzer's favorite is a slice of sweet red pepper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a list somewhere of all the good and bad fruits and veggies for dogs and their values and side affects for dogs...let me find it and ill type it up on here for you...
Oh I would love to hear about it too please! Always wondered what is good and what's not!:confused:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I didn't make this, I copied it from a dog book so I can't say 100% that every thing is right but it seems like a good guide line....

Fruits:
IMPORTANT: Remove all pits and seeds from fruit, almost all of them are poisonous to dogs.

Apples: Vitamin C and pectin. Leave the peel on, just be certain to remove all the seeds

Bananas: High in potassium and magnesium. Soothing to a dogs gastrointestinal tract.

Berries: High in vitamins A, C, potassium and fiber

Lemons, Limes, Grapefruits, Oranges and Tangerines: High in Vitamin C and the white under the peelings contain bioflavonoids, which is essential to vitamin C absorption. Caution: Citrus peels are poisonous

Melons: High in vitamin A, C and potassium.

Peaches, Apricots, and Nectarines: High in vitamin C, A and contain calcium.

Raisins: High in vitamins A, B complex, potassium phosphorous, magnesium, iron, calicum and fiber. Feed in small amounts only.

Grapes: Feed occasionally and in small amounts only. Recently found that large amounts of grapes can cause kidney faliure.

Avocado: Rich in vitamin E and some protein. High in fat, good for skin, coat and weight gain.

I also have a full list on vegatables but I have to run to pick up my daughter from school so I'll type it up when I get back....

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Vegtables

Asparagus: High in carotene, selenium and vitamin C.

Beans: High in protein, fiber, potassium, iron and thiamin. Too much can cause intestinal gas or discomfort.

Beets: High in copper, manganese and potassium. Temporarily changes color or urine and feces.

Broccoli: High in calcium, potassium and fiber.

Brussel Sprouts: High in protein, vitamins A and C, riboflavin, iron, potassium and fiber

Cabbage: High in vitamins B5, B6, C and E

Carrots: High in fiber, beta-carotene, potassium and vitamin C. Personally a favorite treat by my teething pup!

Cauliflower: High in fiber, vitamin C, potassium and zinc

Celery: High in chlorophyll. Many dogs do not like celery because of the strings, even when cut up in bite size pieces these strings can cause throat irritations.

Corn: High in fiber and good amounts of iron, zinc and potassium. Corn must be processed for proper digestion. Never feed you dog corn on the cob, as the cobs can cause obstructions in the intestines.

Greens: High in vitamin A, C and fiber. Always a good idea.

Kohlrabi: One of the higest vegetables in potassium and vitamin C. Both the greens and bulbs must be processed before eating.

Lentils: High in protein, iron, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin; the sprouts are rich in vitamin C. Only feed cooked.

Okra: High in fiber, carotene, vitaman B complex and C.

Parsnips: High in fiber. feed occasionally.

Peas: High in fiber and magnesium.

Pumpkin: High in fiber, vitamins A, B, calicum, copper, magnesium, potassium and zinc.

Squash: High in nutrients.

Sweet Potatoes: High in vitamin A.

Turnips and Rutabagas: High in fiber and nutritous.

Potatoes,Eggplants, Onions, Radishes and Spicy Peppers: Do NOT feed!

Lettuce: Has very little nutrition and too much can give your dog loose stools.

Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers and Spinach: These vegetables are enjoyed by most dogs but should be used only on occation. Too many of these goodies can cause your dog gas, bloating and/or intestinal upset.

Garlic: Loved by most dogs. It is good for the health of the intestinal tract and immune system. Only give raw garlic in small amounts.

Whew...that was a lot to type up, hope everyone finds it helplful!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Carrots have always been a favorite in our house with every dog we have had, they make a great treat instead of a bone and Blitz especially loves them now that she's teething!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CaseyGSD~ thanks so much for sharing!!! i'm going to copy and paste and naturally print those lists out!!! Zena LOVES carrots. We never have grapes in the house and when we do, my daughter eats them pretty quick. Plus my dogs look at grapes like they're the plague so no worries on that one. I'll have to try other fruits and veggies though for them!!!

Shasta got an entire banana, peeled of course, last night and just laid on the floor nibbling it like she was savoring it. It was amusing.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts