German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
My gosh... most of the Islamic girls and women here AVOID Grimm at al costs. They cross the street, they do abrupt U-turns on the sidewalk, anxiously looking over their shoulders at us. They visibly teach their toddlers to beware of waggy doofuses bearing long tongues.

How the heck could an Islamic fella use a dog to attempt to CATCH a ladyfriend in Saudi?? Makes no sense.

I think it's simply and plainly an attempt to avoid the inevitable trickle-in of Western culture.. hence cell phone cams, pop music, etc that they wish away with.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfI think it's simply and plainly an attempt to avoid the inevitable trickle-in of Western culture.. hence cell phone cams, pop music, etc that they wish away with.
I would agree with that. I'd even go a little further and say that owning and loving a pet can teach people many things - humanity, love and respect for life in general, etc. Probably things they'd rather keep off the agenda. (Yeah, yeah... I know. Not very PC.)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just one more reason I am proud to be an AMERICAN!

A huge and heartfelt thank you to all our troops, active, Reserve and retired. A million thanks to you all who have kept us free from rediculous persecution!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The sad thing is, the culture and current administration in the country are to blame here, not wholly the faith itself. This is so sad. Then folks under a regime like this get a business assignment, or the whole family moves overseas-- and they are mortified by a GSD rounding the corner in the city.

But.. on our second day here, a lady in Hijabi-- pretty pattered headscarf, long swoopy coat, billow-y pants and all, approached us at the corner store and asked to pet Grimm. She grabbed his neck flabs and, uh, flabulated them for him. Said wonderful Turkish things to him while he swooned. Thing is, the lady was probably born here. How do these Saudi folks travel, move round the world, and live in Western societies after an upbringing never seeing a dog up close? Maybe that's part of the point, to make it so they won't leave... making the West and it's ideals seem tainted, strange, bad, dangerous.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfHow the heck could an Islamic fella use a dog to attempt to CATCH a ladyfriend in Saudi?? Makes no sense.
That makes no sense to me either.

I've got quite a few Muslim friends. Some refuse to come to my house because we have dogs. I'm fine with that!

Some don't mind dogs, but would never own them and I know others who own them. I think it depends on how liberal they are. But, religiously they are taught that dogs are dirty animals.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: bsinghVA
Originally Posted By: BrightelfHow the heck could an Islamic fella use a dog to attempt to CATCH a ladyfriend in Saudi?? Makes no sense.
That makes no sense to me either.

I've got quite a few Muslim friends. Some refuse to come to my house because we have dogs. I'm fine with that!

Some don't mind dogs, but would never own them and I know others who own them. I think it depends on how liberal they are. But, religiously they are taught that dogs are dirty animals.
Actually it's culturally they are taught that. There's nothing in the Qur'an about it. Among the dearest friends I have is a man and his family who are from Tajikistan, which is a former Soviet republic and is a Muslim state. It's to the north of Afghanistan. Many Tajiks own dogs and care for them. My friend always had a dog at his house when he was growing up and his mother still has the dog they had when he left there 10 years ago. He has his own dog here in America.

Perhaps those who think Muslims do not honor dogs haven't heard of the Saluki or the Akbash? Yes, many Muslims think dogs are "unclean", but this is a far cry from saying they all do.

As for what's going on with the Saudis, yes, I think it is a bit of a Western backlash to some extent but more likely an appeasement to the more extreme groups in that land.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I have a Muslim friend from Jordan and he does not seem put off by the fact that I own dogs at all. I do not know that he would ever own any though.

It almost sounded like this is something they may not enforce. But making a law that says I can confiscate your dog if I see it is really scarey. I am glad I live here for now. But I see things moving in a direction that is scarey here too.

For instance enforcing new limit laws that do not grandfather in current dogs. I will never support a limit law, grandfather clause or not, but telling people they have to get rid of a dog they already have is barbaric, cruel, inhumane, discusting, and certainly a law that nobody should willingly follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts