German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs prefer these over everything else I bought them.
They are soft, they can really grab the “prey” and sink their teeth into it (as the ball gets old, squishy, and full of puncture marks) and the small is just the right size to throw and fetch.
They use them until they literally fall apart, which takes a while.
Thought I’d throw this out there just in case you’ve never heard of them.
Made in the USA, too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks! I’m always looking for new gear to try with my pups. Mine really like this one to

It’s squishy so they can kind of chomp on it but it’s tough it doesn’t shred apart. Has a good bounce to.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
@Zeppy go up a size to the large chuck it.I personally know of a GSD that had the medium sized wedged in his throat and died on the way to the vet.

My dogs love Jolly balls.Also the soft silicone "spikey" balls.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I felt the soft jolly balls still really wore down Max’s teeth with excessive play. He is excessive though. It did seem to file his teeth down it was what happens to my first gsd as well his teeth work down. Is that soccer jolly ball softer then the soft jolly ball? Max really loves the jolly. .

The extra large glow in the dark chuck it ball with the hole on the middle it is not abrasive on his teeth soft and flexible is a favorite.

This ball on the rope is great to mix up fetch and play tug. The ball in the pictures I picked up at petco it was part of a xmas set and no name on and not sure what the material is feels almost like a really hard foam but teeth sinkable and less abrasive as their last jolly. Floats to and good in the water. The green ball to another favorite that carter smith posted good size.
Plant Felidae Carnivore Mammal Small to medium-sized cats

Water Dog Dog breed Carnivore Beach

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Toy Pumpkin

Max setting up his own impulse exercises lol-the string on the ball make it easier to throw to.
Water Sky Dog Beach Carnivore

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Forrest loves the Nerf Bash balls that light up. I have to keep an eye out as he loves to chomp on them as he carries them or when he takes a break in the yard. The outer ball will eventually split. I think I have gone thru 4 in 2 years.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Jenny720 , those “softer” Jolly Balls were the reason why I tried these. They never really did get soft, and after being played with the surface was rough and grainy, almost like, as you said, a file.
These soccer ones get squishy, especially if left outside. After a while, they end up ripped and like a pancake and I throw them out.
Hans is 10 1/2 and he has been playing with them for years and his teeth are fine.
Actually, now that I look at them, pretty good, for old man teeth!
Dog Plant Dog breed Jaw Carnivore

·
Registered
270 Posts
@Jenny720 , those “softer” Jolly Balls were the reason why I tried these. They never really did get soft, and after being played with the surface was rough and grainy, almost like, as you said, a file.
These soccer ones get squishy, especially if left outside. After a while, they end up ripped and like a pancake and I throw them out.
Hans is 10 1/2 and he has been playing with them for years and his teeth are fine.
Actually, now that I look at them, pretty good, for old man teeth!
View attachment 588800
What’s Hans diet like? What’s the secret to his health, he looks incredible for his age I don’t see any grey in his muzzle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Sports equipment Grass

4 inch chew kings are nice for fetch. The green starmark is tempting lol, might have to try it. I had a jolly ball in my amazon cart but saw reviews of dog’s teeth sinking into them and the ball getting stuck. One poor dog had his tooth ripped out. I’m guessing this doesn’t happen often and most people get all the benefit without an issue, but it made me nervous.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What’s Hans diet like? What’s the secret to his health, he looks incredible for his age I don’t see any grey in his muzzle.
He was on raw for years and never did well on it, we had all sorts of problems.
He would drool , lick the floor, eat grass, bile vomit, and have an irritated colon.

Dried food was a disaster. I tried all sorts of dehydrated, gosh, what didn’t I try. I even neutered him, because the vet thought his irritated anus was because of prostate.
Nope.
It was because of food, because it continued after the neuter, poor dog.

5 years ago, (I think) I decided to try cooking for him, out of sheer desperation. I bought a bunch of cook for your dog books and, through trial and error, I ended up with a recipe that not only stopped the vomiting, but provided enough water (he never drank enough before, and his pee would be almost orange.)
He ended up eating 1.3 lbs (weight raw) of boiled hamburger, 1 teaspoon bone meal, 1 teaspoon fish oil, and 3 drops of vitamin E. I scoop the boiled burger out and add in just enough fat from the night before. The meat gets immediately cooled with a tall glass of ice water. On top of that, 1.5 TBSP of Bernie’s Perfect Poop, a supplement that resolved his soft stools and provided pre and probiotics.
The result is a sloppy soup that he devours.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Ear

Every night, for dessert, he gets 3 raw duck feet.

I do think part of his coloring is genetic. He has always had great pigment, and his mom went gray late, if I remember correctly. Going to find some pics.

ETA:
OK, here is his dam, Questa. She died at almost 13.
Here, she is at least 10.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore German shepherd dog Companion dog

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
236 Posts
I felt the soft jolly balls still really wore down Max’s teeth with excessive play. He is excessive though. It did seem to file his teeth down it was what happens to my first gsd as well his teeth work down. Is that soccer jolly ball softer then the soft jolly ball? Max really loves the jolly. .

The extra large glow in the dark chuck it ball with the hole on the middle it is not abrasive on his teeth soft and flexible is a favorite.

This ball on the rope is great to mix up fetch and play tug. The ball in the pictures I picked up at petco it was part of a xmas set and no name on and not sure what the material is feels almost like a really hard foam but teeth sinkable and less abrasive as their last jolly. Floats to and good in the water. The green ball to another favorite that carter smith posted good size.
View attachment 588793
View attachment 588789

View attachment 588798
Max setting up his own impulse exercises lol-the string on the ball make it easier to throw to.
View attachment 588797
My dog’s teeth got worn down too. I didn’t realize how easily it could happen. Did you make any accommodations that were helpful? From what I’ve read it’s usually ok as long as it doesn’t keep progressing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts