German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I have recently become the proud owner of an 11 week old German Shepherd named Axel. This is the third week he has been with me and he has adjusted very well. Yesterday I noticed a lot of flakes (like dandruff almost) by his backside. I took a closer look and it appeared to be a scab that he has been scratching at but it was also wet and sticky. So I brushed his fur gently to get the flakes out and then I bathed him to remove the sticky substance. Now today there are no flakes but the spot is still sticky and now had red spots. Can anyone help me out? He does have an appointment with the vet later this week for his 3rd distemper and his rabies vaccination.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Welcome:)

It's possible he has fleas. Have you ran a flea comb through him? They can itch enough to break the skin, causing a sore to ooze, become infected.

It's much easier for us if you could post a picture.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Could be hot spots, mange or flea reaction. Clean the area well and put some anti bacterial on there. I use Iodine for hotspots and neem oil for fleas and mange. You could used cider vinegar to clean the area too. I use a towel to remove any puss or wetness and then apply the Iodine for the hot spots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts