German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This evening I had Bailey out for his walk. He peed in a grassy area, then all of a sudden jumped and started yelping and pulling on the leash to get home. When I got him home I noticed his back paws bleeding. We went into the house, he then started running through the house yelping, pooping everywhere, leaping up on my glass front door. I finally got him into the Pathfinder and off the the vet we went.

The vet couldn't find anything wrong, except his back paws were bleeding from him pulling on the leash. Vet thinks it may have been fire ants that bite him.

Has anyone's dog been bitten by fire ants and did they behave in a similar manner.

Thank you.

Mary

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I've never had a dog bit by them but I myself have been. Thankfully it was just one or two but they did hurt. Poor Bailey probably thought the ground was attacking him.

And for our friends in the north and other areas who have not had the pleasure.... here is a quote from wikipedia:

A typical fire ant colony produces large mounds in open areas, and feeds mostly on young plants, seeds, and sometimes crickets. Fire ants often attack small animals and can kill them. Unlike many other ants, which bite and then spray acid on the wound, fire ants only bite to get a grip and then sting (from the abdomen) and inject a toxic alkaloid venom called Solenopsin, a compound from the class of piperidines. For humans, this is a painful sting, a sensation similar to what one feels when burned by fire — hence the name fire ant — and the aftereffects of the sting can be deadly to sensitive individuals

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Hope Bailey feels better soon.

Originally Posted By: ILGHAUSAnd for our friends in the north and other areas who have not had the pleasure....
As a friend from other areas - you can keep those little buggers down there!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Knock on wood, I've only had one experience with dogs getting bitten by fire ants that I'm aware of.

When Ringer was a puppy I brought him in the house and immediately put him in his crate and I heard him "tap dancing" - he wouldn't settle down. When I went to check on him, the bottom of the crate had a lot of fire ants crawling around. I "think" he got in a nest outside and brought them in. I took both him and the crate pan outside, hosed both off and all was fine. I didn't have to take him to the vet. I changed my plans and stayed home with him that day instead of going out.

I've been bitten a few times - they hurt like ****.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
poor bailey hope he is doing ok.
I can't even imagine

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54Hope Bailey feels better soon.

Originally Posted By: ILGHAUSAnd for our friends in the north and other areas who have not had the pleasure....
As a friend from other areas - you can keep those little buggers down there!
If I remember correctly they are kind of like the killer bees and slowly moving their way north...........................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts