German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder what people use for their "dog bag"--I don't know what it's called, but I find I need a bunch of things for my pooch:

1. bags for waste
2. leash
3. chew toy to distract teething puppy
4. treats for training
5. collapsible water bowl
6. water bottle for spraying
7. ?

Anyone know of any particularly clever solutions to carrying this stuff around? What do you folks do?

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
in the summer I wear this
https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-heirloom-gardening-vest-14752.html
but if you really want cheap / free you can get a carpenter's apron from the big box hardware stores.

I only carry water and bowls on humid summer days. During winters I find a nice deep coat pocket works pretty well. My dogs are adults so I carry less treats and usually no toys but I sometimes carried both when they were youngsters. Tugs for rewarding good behavior and a treat if I needed a quick and tidy reward when there was no room for tug.

many people use this pouch. You can find it at Petco. You can toss it into the laundry. Holds up pretty well
https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Treat-Pouch-Mini-Convenient/dp/B00T3X1W52/ref=asc_df_B00T3X1W52/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060065450&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3108427175156286087&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007652&hvtargid=pla-353505213246&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Are you carrying all those things with you when you go for walks, or is this to transport your stuff to training?

This is my favorite treat bag: https://www.amazon.com/Doggone-Good-Reward-Directly-Manufacturer/dp/B00UXM2HBK/ref=lp_9461134011_1_3?srs=9461134011&ie=UTF8&qid=1548006940&sr=8-3

It comes in 7 different colors and the main compartment holds a lot of treats, plus you can even fit a ball on a rope. There's an inner pocket where I drop my cell phone, and a front velcro pocket where I put my ID and trail pass. The zippered pocket on the back will fit a folded trail map, and I also keep an emergency $20 bill there too. The small side pockets will fit poop bags, a clicker, lip balm, etc, and they both have D rings to attach other stuff. You can clip it to your belt or use the one that comes with it. I've replaced the belt with a SPIbelt, which holds my keys or a protein bar. It would also fit a phone. https://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-No-Bounce-Running-Athletes-Adventurers/dp/B00CK92VX8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1548007232&sr=8-15&keywords=runner+belt

If I need to carry water, I have a fanny pack. It holds two 24 oz Nalgene bottles, and has a small pack between them that fits a collapsible water dish. When she's old enough Cava can wear one of the two dog packs that I have, whichever fits her best. We also have a small hydration backpack by High Sierra for when we need to carry a bunch of toys for the park. Costco carries them most of the time at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great suggestions for bags/vests, etc. Don't think I could carry off the "hairy tummy" one, LOL

The main instructor with Cassie's obedience classes gives me a hard time, if I keep a larger fanny pack with me and sling it over my shoulder. I've taken to packing things in a reusable shopping bag, that I set by the sidelines. If I have pockets, I put treats in pockets during class. If I don't want to wear a fanny pack around my waist, I'll sometimes use a very tiny purse that I wear messenger bag style.

A couple of things I like to keep close at hand (to accompany the poop bag): a disposable rubber glove or two, a hand wipe or two and a paper towel. I'm always glad I have these items for a messy poop event.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I guess I do often want these things during walks. It's pretty dry here in Arizona, and I don't like my 11 week-old guy drinking out of the public dog bowls they have at some of the parks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts