German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Samson (actually responds better to Sam), intact 7 year old GSD, on June 2. The pound said they picked him up as a stray. He has kennel cough but that’s getting better, only coughing 1-2 times a day now. I took him to the vet last weekend for a look over. It appears he attempted to chew through some steel. Teeth are super bad, multiple are broken. However, he is the best dog! He is chipper, eating well, chewing well, plays Frisbee, etc.

I’m thinking to start him on an immune supplement to ward off any infections. I’m looking at Earth Animals daily nuggets.

Before I do, however, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how best to help him. Vet suggested no surgery for teeth, but he will be neutered once he stops coughing.

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
No advice on which supplements are best,but if his teeth are stained and brownish I would have the vet clean his teeth while he's anesthetized during neutering.
How about a picture of your boy Sam?I have a Samson too,nick named The Samster:)

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
Have the bad teeth removed. As they rot, the toxins will harm his kidneys.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you the responses :) Quite a few of the teeth in the back are evidently in question... I wonder if I should go to another vet.

I need to post more so I can post a pic :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think it's kind of weird that a vet suggested not to remove broken teeth. I would definitely get a second opinion on that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
See a veterinary dentist to get a fully informed opinion on the state of the teeth and treatment options. If your vet can't refer you or you cannot find one yourself, post here with your general location and some members are likely to chime in suggestions. What Jax posted is very true, untreated damage can cause abscesses, much pain and infections that travel through the bloodstream to other organs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you, I made an appointment with a different vet, but I will cancel that and get one with a dentist.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Good luck! Been there, done that with two dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,707 Posts
Handsome guy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So dentist said basically the same thing. He has a heart murmur and said extracting all the teeth that need to be would be hard on him. He is NOT happy at the vet. I had to hold his lips up so she could see, they tried to take a blood panel but he was getting so traumatized I said let’s just do it once he’s under to get neutered. She gave me some tranq for next time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Poor guy! Doing it all while he is out is certainly more compassionate. Did your own vet pick up on the murmur and think it is worth following up?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, she wants to do an echo and other tests on him. But first we are going to get him neutered and get a blood panel. If the blood panel comes back with no issues, we will look at options then. I could easily spend about thousands on him just between the teeth and his heart. I just wanted to give him a comfy place to live out his days... I don't really have thousands to spend. Decisions decisions.

This morning I woke up and his head was on the pillow next to me watching me. So sweet.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That sounds awful. That poor guy must have had an awful life before. He can't be comfortable with all those issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You would think so!! I tried to post a video of him chasing a frisbee... super cute. How do you determine if a dog is uncomfortable? He is eating well, playful, alert, etc...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Dogs are really good at covering up their discomfort. He might not show any signs. It's possible he's fine and isn't in pain. Too bad we can't read their minds!

You could always call the vets and ask if they think he needs any pain meds. They would know best.

Reactions: SamsonGold

·
Registered
982 Posts
But first we are going to get him neutered and get a blood panel. .
You might want to reconsider the order of things. IME experience, blood panels are de rigueur before surgery, even neutering. Among other things, the blood panel (CBC and chemistry) will tell you how well your dog is likely to tolerate anesthesia, organ functioning (e.g., pancreatic and kidneys), and whether any disease processes are brewing. These are things that you and your vet need to know in order to decide whether and how to proceed with surgery.

I understand a dog that objects to vet visits, but were that handsome boy mine, I'd invest in a muzzle (if necessary) and go back for the blood panel first. You can do it as part of a tech visit which is much cheaper than paying for an office visit with the vet --- well, in my neck of the woods it is.

Aly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh they did muzzle him. He kept bucking her off. She nicknamed him bronco! He wouldn't sit still at all for the blood draw.

She did give me tranq for the next time. I will make an appointment to get it done before he gets neutered. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts