German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my rescue when she came in first day she stank like mad.

Now after a few baths and loads of grooming she stinks less.

Been to vet and no worries they say?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if this will help but with our puppy we learned we have to wipe her vulva. Our puppy used to smell horrible and the vet said to clean there. Sometimes pee may get on them and start to smell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Does she have any areas where the skin is red or irritated? Could be a skin infection somewhere. If it's just from being in a dirty kennel, it should fade with time and proper grooming. You might want to try bathing her again, though! Make sure the shampoo gets right down to the skin in all areas of her body.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
In another thread you said "My rescue doesnt eat commercial dog food, when she ate it or diarrhea or throw up in some cases."

Does that mean that you switched to raw or homemade food?

If so, your dog could be detoxing or some call it herxing or a healing, in which toxins, that have accumulated in the body, can be expelled in different forms. These “toxins” have to somehow escape the body. Dogs could show upsetting signs such as drainage from the ears and/or eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, stool that could smell SO bad it would make the strongest stomach urp! Stool with strange colors, mucousey stool, discharge from the penis or vagina, bad breath, itching (even more if he was itching before), licking himself, or they can even purge thru the skin resulting in opened sores.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I know that smell well from rescuing dogs that have been living on the streets, or in a shelter environment. It takes MANY baths to get it out--it's persistent.

The best thing for it is chlorhexidene veterinary shampoo because that also helps to clear out colonies of pathonogenic bacteria that are likely on the skin from having fecal-infused mats in the fur for a long period of time, next to the skin. (DO NOT allow this shampoo to touch the head/neck...use it only from the shoulders down). The "Douxo" brand of this shampoo is widely available internationally, and it's very good.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your advice. Its getting out one by one. Takes a while. I bathed her head today and yes ran away again. Smell is reducing by the day. Another bag of fur out and the smell is gradually going less and less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts