German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Bronco into the vet today because she had been limping for a week.The vet felt around and said that she heard crunching in her elbow. She is 26 months and in incredible shape. 64 pounds of lean muscle. We are an athletic family and include our dogs always and now I'm just kicking myself that maybe we did too much?

Recently though we had a new neighbor move in about six months ago and they started fence fighting. It's annoying to say the least so we don't allow our dogs to fence fight much, but I'm sure when we are out and about it goes on! Well I asked the vet about this and she said that the jarring of running back and fourth could be the cause. We get X rays on Monday and I am just so dissapointed. The vet said that she didn't have a good feeling about it and she may need surgery. I just feel awful. Worst case scenario she does need surgery, what will our life be like after? Will she still be able to on hikes with us? :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
So sorry to hear about Bronco :( I wish her a speedy recovery.

Friends of ours had a boxer that broke her leg, severely. Needed major surgery, plates, etc. They are a VERY active family that go on long hikes and took her on 10-12 km runs regularly. Her recovery period was lengthy, but she's back out there with them again. I went on a 3 hr walk with them not too long ago and she did fantastic. Being healthy and in good shape helps I think.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have never had this issue with my dog and cant help with the medical side of it. I just wanted to say dont beat yourself up. You were including your dog in your family activites, that is being a good owner. You didnt leave her at home locked in a kennel or chained in the back yard.
Accidents happen and I am so sorry it happend. As far as fence fighting, I know your pain, I have a GSD that will do that too. She has gotten allot better. I just have to make sure that when she is in the front yard I am there with her, and can recall her.
I wish you lots of luck and hope that she gets better soon and can continue her active lifestyle with you and your family.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our soon to be 3 yrs old GSD will be having surgery on Thurs for torn ligament on her rear knee. We are also very active, our dog just loves going on agility equipment, playing hard with other friendly GSD's. It happens. As much as surgery scares me, I can see by delaying it she may develop arthritis, already has a bone spur due to joints not moving properly.

Thanks to Nova&Uschi'sMOm posting about the boxer story.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Cody had his knee repaired when he was 5 years. I think during recovery I think it was like 6 weeks that he only went outside on a leash, per the vet. He healed great. When he became lame not long before he died at almost 12 years old, they xrayed both knees and the repaired one was still fine. He used to do like a "spin around " on his back legs when they got running up and down the fenceline, like said,it can be a pain calling it off! Luckily the dog that lives next door now responds to me stopping the fence running too! He will run up but all I have to do is say "at at " and he goes back to the middle of their yard!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all who weighed in! Gretchen I am so sorry about your dog!! That must be painful for the poor thing!! I'm really encouraged though by the stories of surgery and still living an active lifestyle!! Really I am!

Gretchen, will you continue doing agility once she heals?!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Thank you all who weighed in! Gretchen I am so sorry about your dog!! That must be painful for the poor thing!! I'm really encouraged though by the stories of surgery and still living an active lifestyle!! Really I am!

Gretchen, will you continue doing agility once she heals?!
I'll see what the vet says. He said it is common to do surgery on both knees over a lifetime. My husband's friend had 2 GSD's, both had an ACL repair, but seemed to live good lives afterward.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes he did really well with the surgery, he had a little fluid build up on the knee after surgery but they just drained it off and it didn't come back. The hardest part was him wanting to run and play with his brother Clipper but had to be on a leash!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to update, the vet did an xray, said her elbow is NOT BROKEN!!!

So excited, but she said it's definitely injured or irritated because it had calcification on it. Or maybe that isn't the right word...it was something on the thickening of the bone. Anyway, we are resting, praising God and just wanted to share!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts