German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just adopted an 8 month old from the shelter. Everything is going great except for one thing. He will not stop pushing his nose into people’s crotches and butts. He’s very intrusive about it, and I’m not sure how to stop it. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anywhere. Inside the home, out on walks, when friends come to visit. And it isn’t just once, he does it often, anytime he gets near a person.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
You want to not only teach him not to do that but more importantly what you DO want him to do. I suggest teaching him to sit next to you and not expect to go up to strangers unless you give him the OK. Or you could have him stand between your legs. Or if you art going to stand around and chat, have him lay down and relax. You can also direct people to offer their of their hand, down low, not reaching to touch the top of his head, if your dog is curious about them.

I find it best for my dogs to not expect to go up to strangers. Most people should just be part of the landscape or a curiosity to be looked at from a distance.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will work for other people, but what about with me? He does it often to me many many times a day. I tell him no, and changed directions, so if he is sniffing the front, I give him my back, and around the other way, but it doesn’t stop him. He will go into a sit, but a lot of time I don’t know he’s going to do it, like if I’m washing dishes in the kitchen and don’t hear him approach.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
If you are busy and can’t redirect him or give him another command you can tether him to a table or to you, or put him in a crate. If you tether to a table, don’t leave him tethered when you leave the room. Teach him a Place command to lie on a dog bed, too. He can’t be allowed to keep doing that or he won’t stop. It’s self rewarding. It can take a long time to unlearn a behavior and you must be firm and consistent.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thank you. I do crate him for the most part if I can’t keep a direct eye on him, but I just don’t know how to correct him when he does it. It’s been two months, and I’m getting tired of constantly being sniffed. It’s the only bad habit I haven’t been able to overcome. He was a poop eater, not potty trained or house trained at all, and was a bad jumper. I let him get away with the sniffing because I was focusing on the other behaviors first. I know it’s my mistake, and I shouldn’t have allowed it to go on, but it wasn’t as noticeable when I was dealing with the other issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.