German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerSometimes it will, it can be either a learned habit from the dam, cleaning up after the pups or it can be a food related thing or I swear in puppies cases it is just because they are puppies. Sometimes it is the food. Most people feed a good quality adult food even to their puppies.
When you say it could be a food issue, what do you mean exactly? Is it that the food they're eating is lacking in something and they're trying to compensate for that by "cleaning up the yard"??
I'm curious because Gunner does this too. I go out there right behind them and scoop the yard, so it's not a big problem for me to keep him from doing it. I just don't want to overlook what could be causing it in the first place, if it could be something significant.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Originally Posted By: pinkanml
Yup! Sometimes if the food is missing something, or if it's not very digestible, they will try to recover it by eating poop. Try a different, high quality brand and see if it stops. It won't change overnight, though. I know a dog that would tear your arm off to get to eat poop. He was a skeleton and always starved, so I told his owners about EPI. They got him to the vet, put him on enzymes, and now he is a lot better about eating poop. Still tries to sneak now and then, but he isn't anything like before. Looks great now, too.
Okay. I know that "quality food" is one of those hotly-debated subjects and I don't want to poke any hornets nests here, but... (LOL.)
What do you think of Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice? Would you guys consider that a high quality food? I've tried doing my homework where food is concerned and honestly, it's enough to make my head spin! I feel like I'd need to be a nutritionist to make heads or tails of this stuff.
We've been sticking with the Nutro for a while now because it SEEMS to be decent quality and it's one of the foods he'll eat. We tried Canidae a while back and he turned his nose up at it. Same with Iams.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No, the cost isn't really an issue. If need be, I'm sure I can cut back somewhere else to save a little money if it means being able to give them a better food.
I'll check into some of those brands and see which ones are available around here. I know I've seen the Wellness brand and I'm pretty sure I've seen the Solid Gold and Timberwolf.
Thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts