German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally Posted By: GunnersMom
When you say it could be a food issue, what do you mean exactly? Is it that the food they're eating is lacking in something and they're trying to compensate for that by "cleaning up the yard"??
Yup! Sometimes if the food is missing something, or if it's not very digestible, they will try to recover it by eating poop. Try a different, high quality brand and see if it stops. It won't change overnight, though. I know a dog that would tear your arm off to get to eat poop. He was a skeleton and always starved, so I told his owners about EPI. They got him to the vet, put him on enzymes, and now he is a lot better about eating poop. Still tries to sneak now and then, but he isn't anything like before. Looks great now, too.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's "decent," but there are other foods out there that are better, and similarly priced. Pinnacle and California Natural are in that price range (as well as Canidae, but you said he didn't like it). If cost isn't an issue, you might want to try Innova, Solid Gold, Fromm, Timberwolf, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety, Wellness, Canine Caviar.

I *guarantee* he'd like one of the grain-free foods, but those are pretty rich and can take a long period to adjust for some dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts