German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The behaviors she exhibited in both cases sound like fear to me. She's just a baby and everything is new to her. Don't let this one experience ruin things for her or YOU with other dogs. At her age this should be relatively easy to fix, especially since you have access to some nice dogs her size (like the puggle). Please be aware that your body language and actions (tensing your face, feeling nervous or stressed), tightening up on the leash, picking her up, etc., reaffirm her fear. You want to work on your reactions so that you are confident and positive whenever both of you are around other dogs.

You want to start conditioning her to feel confident and positive when she sees other dogs. The first thing you can do is to fill up a bag with really yummy treats (like hot dogs or cheese). Make sure she knows you have them and when she does something like sits or looks at you, she gets one. Then slowly reintroduce her to the puggle. Start with the puggle off in in the distance (on a leash) so that she isn't a threat to your dog. When she notices the puggle, give her verbal positive reinforcement and a treat. If you can get a sit, all the better. Slowly move closer, treating all the way. You can do this on opposite sides of the street on the sidewalk, if you want. If she gets anxious and starts to snarl or bark then you've gotten too close. Depending on her temperament you may need to do this over a week long period until you are able to have the dogs walking nicely next to one another. Once you're there and she's comfortable then you should be able to have them sharing space in a yard, etc.

I'll just add that when I adopted Rafi he was great with other dogs but shortly after I got him several big dogs picked on him. Then he started doing counter defensive posturing and barking with bigger dogs. I have been working on that with him and he's doing much better. I am also working really hard to remember how I'm holding his leash, feeling, etc. When we have a bad encounter now he does not transfer it to the next dog.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Without being in the situation I think it's impossible to know what she was exhibiting. But I still think there are good things to learn from your own reactions.

Hopefully you can take her to play with a dog that she likes tomorrow and all will be fine.

I did want to say that when Rafi had the bad experiences I didn't know him that well and he didn't know me that well. Today we had a lot of not great encounters with other dogs and a few days we were "greeted" by two stray dogs in the dark. In all cases I took control of the situation immediately and made myself a very strong alpha dog--with my voice and posture. The other dogs immediately backed off and Rafi continued on like nothing had happened.

That's one thing to keep in mind with your dog--if you are in control of the world then that's one less thing for her to worry about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts