German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been awhile since I have been on here. Misty is 2 1/2 years old and has been having these allergy problems for a year. Through many vet appointments last year, they finally figured out it was a bad case of environmental allergies plus yeast infection. We used medicated shampoo and lotion and many other medications and it finally disappeared in February of this year.

Well, it came back full blast and before I knew it she has small patches of fur missing by her eyes and on her stomach, bleeding. :( She has lots of red bumps on her stomach, her paws red and inflamed, and her muzzle is super itchy. We've been trying to treat her with all the previous medication, but nothing is helping. I called her dermatologist and the next step they take is testing for what specific allergy she has and then put her on shots the rest of her life.

They said it cost $600 for the appointment and testing, plus additional costs for all the medication and shots. So they said about a grand total of a grand and then $100 a month the rest of her life for shots. On top of that, her skin is really sensitive with the inflammation and sores, and most of the vets previously have never been very gentle or patient with her so now she went from loving vets to being terrified of them. She doesn't even want me to put medicine on those areas. She literally won't let me put anything on her muzzle anymore.

So basically my question is what should I do? We have two children and are expecting another so we are on a very tight budget. Is there other treatments/options? How would we even give any treatments if the vets made her so terrified of them? The kids love her (and of course us) and we really want her to get better! She just itches ALL day. :help: We are going to her normal vet tomorrow since I put her in a kennel for the first time (since we had a wedding we were in) and she has been having bad diarrhea ever since. She is fully vaccinated. So we are hoping for a easy fix for that although the lady I talked with at the vet sounded worried. :crazy:

·
Registered
196 Posts
:-( Poor girl. Sounds like her allergies are much worse than my dog's. Bru was getting constant ear infections from her allergies. Finally it was suggested that I put her on allergy medicines to see how she does. She responded well to Claritin for about 6 months before that became ineffective. After that we tried Zyrtec and Chlortrymaton neither of which worked for Bru. When I discussed it with the vet again she prescribed Hydroxyzine which worked for about 6 months. Now she is back on Claritin. I am hoping I can just jump back and forth between those two medicines. The generic of Claritin is pretty cheap, I can get a 30 pills which isn't quite a months supply for less than $5, and Hydroxyzine is about $15/month. I don't know how much the allergy shot would be each month but this might be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our GSD used to have really bad allergy-related skin issues (chronic ear infections, licking her paws until they became raw, breakouts on belly). After the derm vet started her on allergy shots, she became symptom-free within a few months.

She was on the shots every two weeks initially, we were able to taper her down to once a month over time and still kept her symptom free. For us, the shots started at around $800/year, then tapered down to $400/year.

The allergy shots definitely saved us more money in the long run, no more medicated shampoo, ear drops, ointment, antibiotics, cyclosporine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming it is year round since she had the allergies relentlessly from July till her February where they figured out how to treat her. But I'm not sure. Jax08, that is an interesting article. I might talk to my vet about that. :)

San, our dermatologist vet doesn't offer shots like that. She said they would make a formula for Misty specifically for the type of allergies she has. I would then have to give her the shots myself every 2 days for two months. Then every 5 days for the rest of her life. I hate shot and I'm thinking Misty isn't going to like them that frequently either. If I'm even able to give them to her. So if we went with that option, it would be $1200 a year for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What finally worked for Penny was getting on Comfortis for flea allergy- completely changed her life! When she was on allergy shots they certainly weren't $1200 a year though!! All allergy shots are made for the specific pet and the shots are not hard to give, Penny looked forward to them b/c she would get a treat! Gosh I think I wrote a post on here years ago about inexpensive allergy testing- I went though a company directly, just had my vet charge me for drawing the blood and preparing the shipment. Made the testing very inexpensive. Not sure how to search for a post that old. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts