German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so he is not bad really its my fault :( it was raining like CRAZY here today "we usually don't get rain" but Argos really wanted outside and I felt bad for keeping him locked up in the house however didn't want to let him outside because he has no shelter back there as he is an indoor dog that just loves being outside.

So I took his wire play yard and opened the door on it and shoved in front of the garage door so he could not get out of the play yard but could still go in the garage to keep warm and dry and go back out in the yard as he pleased without getting into trouble in the garage.

However I fully underestimated his puppy smarts the little bugger wiggled himself between the bars and the door entrance and got into the garage and what I came back to find was not unexpected but disappointing.

He had ripped a good chunk of insulation out of the side of the garage "the pink stuff"? and got it everywhere I do not believe he ate any but he did make a mess the thing that worried me is we had a huge mice problem in that garage a few years back and there is mice feces throughout all the insulation I fear that either the insulation will make him sick or the mice feces I did give him a bath and we have a vet appointment tomorrow for his 16 weeks shots but was wondering if anyone had any similar situations or can offer any advise at what to do.

Just to note I did not tell him he was bad dog I did not correct him or anything I just removed him from the situation cleaned up the mess and gave him a bath.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm no dog expert, but if there's any chance at all that it was fiberglass insulation he came into contact with, I'd recommend getting him seen by a vet as soon as possible. Fiberglass is really nasty stuff, being, well, fiber and glass. Like cotton candy, but made of sharp little shards of glass.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just being around insulation (not touching it) irritates my skin greatly. It's incredibly nasty stuff. If he pulled it out there is no doubt that he breathed it in and got in on him. I'd be worried about that causing damage and would definitely get him to a vet as soon as possible.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you put the play yard in front of the garage door so he could
go into the garage but you're shocked that he went into the garage.

Ok so he is not bad really its my fault :( it was raining like CRAZY here today "we usually don't get rain" but Argos really wanted outside and I felt bad for keeping him locked up in the house however didn't want to let him outside because he has no shelter back there as he is an indoor dog that just loves being outside.

So I took his

>>>>> wire play yard and opened the door on it and shoved in front of the garage door so he could not get out of the play yard but could still go in the garage<<<<<

to keep warm and dry and go back out in the yard as he pleased without getting into trouble in the garage.

However I fully underestimated his puppy smarts

>>>>> the little bugger wiggled himself between the bars and the door entrance and got into the garage<<<<<

and what I came back to find was not unexpected but disappointing.

He had ripped a good chunk of insulation out of the side of the garage "the pink stuff"? and got it everywhere I do not believe he ate any but he did make a mess the thing that worried me is we had a huge mice problem in that garage a few years back and there is mice feces throughout all the insulation I fear that either the insulation will make him sick or the mice feces I did give him a bath and we have a vet appointment tomorrow for his 16 weeks shots but was wondering if anyone had any similar situations or can offer any advise at what to do.

Just to note I did not tell him he was bad dog I did not correct him or anything I just removed him from the situation cleaned up the mess and gave him a bath.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
The only thing I can say about insulation, the "pink stuff", is my both my lab and beagle got into it during their puppyhood and neither had any problems from it. Ranger, our GSD pup, ate a dead mouse/vole. Tuke, our 2yr old gsd had killed the critter about a week before and being on my parents property, a place we let our dogs run, we should have gotten rid of it. He found it and swallowed it whole. At least there was a couple feet of snow on the ground so I guess the mouse was still "fresh".

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I wouldn't panic if there are no chunks of insulation missing. I doubt he ate any of it. If he inhaled any of it, there's not much that can be done about it. Monitor him for a hacking cough for the next few days.

He'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I locked the play yard in the opening of the garage door but not let him be free in the garage its gate was open inside the door frame of the garage but he managed to get out of course :rolleyes: stupid me the vet said he should be ok just to keep an eye on him give him plenty to drink and take him back if any issues.

you put the play yard in front of the garage door so he could
go into the garage but you're shocked that he went into the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts