German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past 3 week my puppy has been having off and on Diarrhea issues. I have taken her to the vet literally every week, if not more then that. They have tested her for everything under the sun, and the issue still persists. She will have a semi ok bowl movement, and then it will turn to mud and then water, and the cycle repeats. I have her on a grain free food, have added pumpkin, she only goes out on a leash so she doesn't get into anything. At this point I am at my wits end. I am having to get up with her through the night even though at one point in time she could make it the whole night. I have changed her food once, and will again if it will help, I am just not sure what to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Did they do a specific test called ELISA for giardia?

These are a few items in dog food AND treats that dogs are sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!), Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

The kibble below is a single meat protein food that you can usually get locally and it does not contain any of the above items.

Nature's Variety "Instinct" Limitednot Nature's Recipe): Limited Ingredient Lamb: (can be purchased at PetsMart, Petco) Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Lamb | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Lamb, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite), Green Tea Extract, Rosemary Extract

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut, it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Human Ingredient Products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo: https://feedsentials.com/
Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Digest All Plus: (Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combo) https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: (Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combo)Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

Moms :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Have you tried giving probiotics? Grain free really isn't all that great unless your dog has a known allergy to grains.

If your current Vet is not finding anything I'd consider getting a second opinion elsewhere. Was your puppy previously okay? Did anything happened prior to the issue? Vaccines? Antibiotics? Wormer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She had vaccicnes and then 9 days later it started, she has seen 2 different vets as i had to take her to an emergency one and they still didn't find anything. I just don't know what to do, I know she has to be just as miserable as I am.

And she was on probotics, still is,, she has one more dose tomorrow and we are still seeing the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Vet will say "NO" but it is VERY possible related to the vaccinations.

What exactly did she get? More than one? Rabies AND other vacc's on same day?

Change your Probiotics and stay on them daily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From personal experience I second the advice of Momto2GSDs to recheck for giardia.
My Heike had a miserable time with giardia because it was not detected in 2 previous tests.
It can go undetected, as I found out. The symptoms were the same as you are seeing.
Once diagnosed, she was treated with Panacur and Metronidazole, and all the problems resolved.
It wasn't her food, her training treats, or chew toys.

I hope you can find relief quickly for your puppy!

I know how frustrated and helpless you feel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
about 3 weeks give or take. I called the vet again and they are putting her on a special diet for at least a month.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
I would detox her from the effects of the vaccinations with this product: https://market.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/collections/anti-vaccinosis/products/anti-vaccinosis

The "special diet" will probably be filled with something like corn!

If you want to give REAL food that is nourishing, purchase The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food called LOVE. This is 100% human ingredients in this food and has helped MANY dogs on this blog.
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food(not kibble): LOVE: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/love Store Locator: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen A 10# box RE-hydrates to about 35 pounds of food, but you feed more than kibble because it is real food.

Good luck,
Moms :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for all of your advice, it has been super helpful. They actually put her on a high fiber diet, which so far (fingers crossed) is helping. They want to try to ween her off of that though eventually. I love all of the great advice from this board!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts