German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total Newbie here, trying to do the best we can....

Trainer said its fine to leave training (prong) collar on all day. I would never leave her in crate or unattended with it on. We were out back doing a burn pile, she was just resting. The neighbor, with two friendly dogs came to the fence between our houses. Xena ran over to greet them, put her paws on the top wire and got her collar caught in the wire. She was screaming bloody murder, we were right on it. Seemed to take forever to release her, probably 2 minutes! We have a quick release Prong collar, without that, not sure what we would have done, ran for a wire cutters I guess. Somehow my hands, both of them ended up in her mouth so the rest of the day was spend in ER. Stitches on one hand (finger) and the other was chomped on pretty good, like half a dozen puncture wounds! Xena is fine, my wife got a few marks as well. Tetanus shots, antibiotics and lots of ice today! Lessons learned. No need to have her training collar on unless we are using it!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ugh.. can't believe your trainer told you to leave the prong on all day. That's crazy. So sorry you and your dog went through that! Be careful as well leaving a prong collar on if two dogs are playing or greeting, I've heard plenty of stories of the other dogs teeth getting caught in the prong during play and it then turns into a locked on death match. Whenever we have a loose dog run up I am always quick to take off my prong and switch to the flat collar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ugh.. can't believe your trainer told you to leave the prong on all day. That's crazy. So sorry you and your dog went through that! Be careful as well leaving a prong collar on if two dogs are playing or greeting, I've heard plenty of stories of the other dogs teeth getting caught in the prong during play and it then turns into a locked on death match. Whenever we have a loose dog run up I am always quick to take off my prong and switch to the flat collar.

Agreed! Never leave the training collar on. The trainer should’ve known better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I understand now and completly agree. I’m so thankful that we were right there and it was only me who got hurt, it is my fault. Luckily enough, when we released her, she was immediately calm, and today walked right back to the fence where it happened, like no big deal. It was quite an ordeal.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I never take the leash off the prong and never let go of the leash either. Even on a down-stay with leash on the ground something can happen. What kind of trainer is that!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Any kind of collar can get hung up on something and strangle a dog.One time when my dogs were wrestling my boy's jaw slipped under my girl's collar and they both freaked.Fortunately they stood still for me so I could get them apart.My dogs go 'naked' the majority of the time now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have always been the old school "keep a collar on the dog to show ownership" kinda gal. I had a dog get caught in a bush. Fortunately she was rock solid steady and stayed calm while I got her out of the bush. We are no collar in the crate now, and no collar when loose unless there is someone with a decent level of brain activity with the dog.

So glad everything turned out ok!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yikes. Kind of surprised a trainer would tell you that. I'm glad everything turned out as well as it did, though it sounds like you got a little chewed up.

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
:( I'm sorry this happened. It's hard when the person we trust gives bad advice. I would get her back out to that area and around those dogs as quickly as possible to erase any bad association.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts