German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female 25 week old GSD. She is starting to get out of line, she still obeys. However, she's starting to chew really bad. I have her toys, & bones. Its not like she doesnt have anything to chew. She also has been digging here lately. I look at there is big holes through out my yard! I also put a bag of soil in thr yard & went working on the yard. When I turned around she had chewed and dug through the bag. She also has chewed a couplr hundred dollar part that I had. Is there anyway to help this situation?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If your puppy chews something and you don't catch and redirect her while she is doing it, it's your fault. Puppies are like babies - they don't know any better. They just do what makes them happy. The same reason you toddler proof your home is the same reason why you must watch a baby puppy when she is outside of her crate.

If you cannot watch her, she must be in a secure kennel, crate, enclosure, or x-pen. She digs because you let her - if you don't want her to dig, restrain her to a section of the yard. Get a x-pen and have her in that while you do your yard work. Baby puppies do not need limitless free roam - they do not need it and they have not earned it.

Chewing and digging is not "bad" behavior - this is dog behavior and she will not know any better unless you show her what you want from her. You must modify her behavior over time with positive redirection, patience, repetition, and consistency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
She's still a baby at 25 weeks. Just try to keep everything off the ground possible make sure to not leave anything in her reach. She doesn't know any better. Keep an eye on her and when she chews something off limits say "bad dog" and give her a toy to chew on (or a bone). Then she will know is OK to chew toys but nothing else. Always say it right at the second she does it or she will not understand. It worked for my dog and she was 7 mos when I got her, she'd chew up rakes and anything else. Now only toys. Dogs dig and chew when they are bored as well (Especially GSDs who need mental stimulation), always keep her occupied. Play with her or make her do some tricks; if you're busy in the yard/house get a puzzle-type toy like a filled kong for her to play with. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a female 25 week old GSD. She is starting to get out of line, she still obeys. However, she's starting to chew really bad. I have her toys, & bones. Its not like she doesnt have anything to chew. She also has been digging here lately. I look at there is big holes through out my yard! I also put a bag of soil in thr yard & went working on the yard. When I turned around she had chewed and dug through the bag. She also has chewed a couplr hundred dollar part that I had. Is there anyway to help this situation?
How much exercise is she getting? Chewing/digging is generally a sign or boredom.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Everyone has offered very good advice. I just want to add that patience and consistency in training are also needed. The behavior will not stop over night.. be patient and take everyones advice and use what works best for your dog.

When Gem was going threw the same thing I would only scold her if I caught her in the act. I would then replace whatever she was chewing on with a toy or bone. When she started to chew on the toy or bone I would praise.

If I found something she chewed on but didn't catch her in the act I didn't say anything.

Also, a rubber kong bone that I could fill the inside with peanut butter worked and even better a plastic kong toy that I filled with food. It would only let out one or two pieces of food with every roll kept Gem occupied for a good amount of time. If you want I can attach a picture of this toy.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
She's a bored baby. I'd way up the long hikes and other off leash activity.

And there's a reason around 6 months is when most of us start up some type of official dog training. So much better to love on our pups for doing GOOD as we learn to teach and train them. Rather than the anger and discouragement we otherwise may end up with. Not the puppies fault we haven't yet learned to teach, exercise, socialize and engage in a way to keep them tired, engaged, and a loved!

:)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
This reminds me of a situation I was in a month or so back. I had to put up temporary fencing around all my flowers in the back yard. My son and I left closed bag of potting soil out in the grass. Later that night both my maltipoo and 10 week german shepherd puppy ran into the house full of mud. They had ripped the bag apart and had soil everywhere. My white poodle was black. There he was with his tongue hanging out all proud of himself. I had to laugh it off, or otherwise I would go insane.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
she can dig in the yard because she's out there unattended,
yes or no. if she's tearing up the house again it's because you're
not watching her. don't leave her in the yard unattended or build
her a kennel. when she's in the house crate her if you can't watch her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts