German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! I bought about $150 worth of raw food (hamburger meat, chicken backs, chicken thighs, chicken breast, liver, heart, etc...). My GSD and Boerboel enjoyed the meal without any problems. I even prepared a few satin balls for the older GSD.

Yesterday, my daughter forgot to lock the kitchen door and my GSD unplugged the freezer plug! Now the hamburger meat has turned green and the chicken smells all funny. The Satin Balls too are starting to smell as well. WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THIS BULK SMELLY MEAT??? CAN I COOK IT? OR REFREEZE IT? :cry:

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
one day wouldn't do that, unless there is already a problem with your freezer. A good freezer should stay nearly frozen for a day, cold enough to keep the meat for at least 2-3
That said, if the meat IS green and the chicken is slimey I'd toss it

·
Registered
686 Posts
My advice is, if you would not want to eat it throw it out! I know, it would kill me to do it too. :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMMMNNNNN!!!

@Dianerra - I had been driving a bit in town and the meat was already melting. So when I got home I quickly but the meat in the freezer and went back out!!!

But there are some red parts? Can't I just skim the green bits off??? :'( OR FRY IT WITH PALM OIL??? Its a WHOLE lot of meat. I did bulk shopping...

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I'm surprised it went bad that fast. :thinking: That would make me scared to use your supplier again.

Our freezer is in the garage and my brother and his friends have a bad habit of unplugging it when they're outside playing basketball and it hits the cord and they forget to check it when they're done. (The freezers cord goes from the inside of the garage, outside and plugs into the outside of our house beside his bb goal) Many times we've ended up with a half thawed freezer and while my mom wouldn't feed "human meat" (as she calls it lol) to the family, I've never worried about the dogs stuff going bad. (And when the meats bought for people go bad, it means free meals for the pups. :D) Even when it was off for like 2 days one time, the meat didn't smell bad and the dogs never had issues eating it. I even buy meat that is on sale because it's at it's "best buy" date and that meats never gone bad being thawed and refrozen.

Sounds like you got some bad meat to start with and/or you have a bad freezer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm surprised it went bad that fast. :thinking: That would make me scared to use your supplier again.

Sounds like you got some bad meat to start with and/or you have a bad freezer.

+1

It takes awhile for meat to turn green...

The timeline doesn't add up... unless what you bought was spoiled to begin with.

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
South Africa? Right? What's the temperature there right now?

I've fed meat that was a bit off before but green meat is wayyyy off. I would toss the meat. Sorry. I know it's alot of money but a sick dog will be more expensive. I agree that the meat must have been old to begin with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts