German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been itching around his face and ears for a while now. He was losing hair on his ears. I tried creams and eliminating things from his diet but it didn't help. I took him to the vet and she said it was bacterial folliculitis caused from allergies and to put him on Benedryl and 2 weeks of Cephalaxin antibiotics. He did seem to be getting better but as soon as the antibiotics ran out, he started itching a lot again. I don't want to put him on antibiotics again since he had digestion issues after being on it. Any ideas on what I can do? I am really not even sure her diagnosis was correct but it is all I have to go on. I'm tempted to take him to a different vet but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. He is raw fed and has been for about 1.5 years now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody???

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I would think about a second opinion - it could be something like Sarcoptic Mange sarcoptic mange with secondary staph infection, or there is another ear dermatitis thing that happens that looks like the dog has fly strike...I can't remember what it's called. Maybe it's called this: https://www.google.com/search?q=ear+margin+dermatosis+dog&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a But I would see someone else - or go straight to the top and see a dermatologist. What I would be careful with is if it is something like sarcoptic mange, to treat it carefully as if the dog is MDR1 mutant - we did that with my Sheltie mix when he came up from the shelter.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet said it looked like fly strike and my friend said the same thing. He is an inside dog though and its been pretty cold so no flies around. I asked the vet if it was mange and she didn't think it was. I would hope she wouldn't miss something like that. It does look like that ear margin thing you pointed out. I will see if I can get some pictures of his ear and I found a different vet that I am considering taking him to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts