German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally found out what was going on with our youngest GSD. We switched vets recently and the place we're at now was committed to figuring this out. The EPI test was negative. I'm not sure if they tested for SIBO at the same time (I know they split the usual tests and only tested for the one issue they wanted to know about). They had me bring in another stool sample and ran a bunch more tests.

Yesterday they called and said that he was positive for clostridium perfringens, and the toxins that it can produce. He's been put on metronidazole for two weeks. Just in one day it seems to be making a difference!

So I'm wondering now what the difference is between this and SIBO, or is it kind of the same thing? What he has is basically a bacterial overgrowth, which is what I understood SIBO to be - or is SIBO limited to a specific kind of bacteria?

And if they're totally different, has anyone dealt with this specific bacteria before? I'm wondering if it's likely for it to come back in the future once the treatment is done. Who knows how long he's had it - he's been this way since I got him, about a year and 1/2 ago.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Sounds different?
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2239&S=1

http://www.dogaware.com/k9nfaq.html go to diarrhea

Or maybe not!
http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/index.php?id...downloads%2FBac

Okay, this says: "Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) differs from infection of the intestinal tract by known disease-causing bacteria (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, toxigenic Clostridium perfringens, or others)"
http://dog.justanswer.com/uploads/DrK/2008-07-01_205829_SIBO.doc

Interesting!

Glad he's doing better!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote: Okay, this says: "Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) differs from infection of the intestinal tract by known disease-causing bacteria (such as Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, toxigenic Clostridium perfringens, or others)"
Thanks for the info! I just saw that site after I posted, but too late. I hadn't seen the dogaware one though. I think part of the confusion is that SIBO is so misunderstood and it seems like there's some discrepancy in diagnosis, etc. In fact, I remember reading posts on here by someone that they don't even diagnose SIBO in Germany. So who knows.

My dog was imported into the US and I got him at 1 1/2 yrs old. He had diarrhea/soft stool and we switched kibbles at the vet's recommend. We went through about five other kibbles before finding one that worked for him (Solid Gold Barking at the Moon). Since then I've switched him to Orijen (b/c of availability) and he's been doing very well. He has solid stool every day, but he also has soft stool/unformed every day. I'd estimate the solid to be about 80%, and the rest of his stool during the day is soft/diarrhea. Some of it could be attributed to work/training, but then you take today - we have the day off from work and his first stool was a mix of solid / soft. I just went out again and there were several soft/unformed piles. So it's not exclusively a work situation. At least EPI was ruled out.

I think the vet wants to see how things go after the antibiotics, then go from there. I was so excited to see normal stool this morning, but then back to puddles. Hopefully it will just take a few days and then settle in.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
If it is SIBO, two weeks of antibiotics will probably not be enough. The usual treatment is at least 4 weeks, and most commonly either Tylan (tylosin) or tetracycline. Sometimes vets will prescribe metronidazole instead, but I personally wouldn't give it for that long. A week or two, sure, but not 4 weeks. So even though he's doing better now, it may come back, IF it's indeed SIBO.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I wouldn't use the metronidazole for an extended period of time either.

Cassidys Mom, didn't you use tetracycline? I know that whatever recurs with my Max responds to doxycycline rather than tylan, which made me think of your posts (since doxy is a tetracycline).

mikaK9, be sure to follow-up with probiotics (see the sticky above). Sure am glad you got a diagnosis!

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Yep, my vet had tetracycline in stock, but would have had to order the Tylan, which was the main reason. The veterinary article (from the UK) that I printed out and brought with me when I requested the test mentioned a treatment protocol using tetracyline, with Tylan as the alternate, so I'm sure that's the other reason he went with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice! And yep, I've been using a probiotic for a while with him now. It has helped a great deal and I'm making sure to keep using it now. He gets the antibiotic every twelve hours, so I give the probiotic in-between those.

I thought I remembered something about trying to avoid using metronizadole for long-term. I had planned on asking about the Tylan powder if he needed anything more, but I'll check on the Tetra also. Thanks much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts