German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, a messing one too. My backyard is all messed up and im still trying to find a solution that’s not gonna cost me thousands of dollars. Also, my backyard is pretty small, drainage sucks, and with the houses around me the yard doesnt get a lot of sun, preventing grass from growing. I think I found a relatively cheap and easy solution, Pea Gravel. I saw it on a video of a guy walking his 8 GSD, yep that’s not a typo, 8!! Anyways he had pea gravel in his yard for the pups. Easy clean up, no mud, no smell, and relatively cheap. I’m gonna be prepping my backyard this next week but I was wonder if anyone else has this in their backyard. If so please share your recommendations and pictures. Ill try to remember to take before and after pictures of mine. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I'm thinking of doing my long narrow dog yard in pea gravel or some sort of small smooth river rock. I don't know how I managed to have a pretty and grassy back yard with 2 Dobermans and 4 Italian Greyhounds, but not with 2 (and now 3) GSDs. :eek:

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have a town home, the entire back yard is blue stone gravel. It has made everything do much easier. Easier to clean, no mud when it rains. Pea gravel is the same idea! I say go for it!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
:)Oh and here's a picture of the little monsters.
"little"....glad to see you have a sense of humor.

The outside kennel I built for my 1st GSD was all pea gravel for all the reasons you cited regarding the video... Anyway...the benefits I found are exactly as stated. Years later I updated a bit and now have pavers in it with a small section of rock for her to squirt in.....gravel is easy clean up as suggested.

SuperG

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use straw in my dog run. One bale covered it for almost a year and it's easy to clean up after them. They don't track in any mud or dust , which I do get in the house because I have pea gravel in another area of the yard.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
We put straw down in our back yard last fall after Ziva killed all the grass. I won't do it again. It did significantly reduce the dirt and mud in the house. When the later winter, early spring rains came it really started to decompose and smell. It made Ziva's feet stink something awful after she walked on it. Also, we found the straw got very slick after awhile, making play time that included running dangerous.
That was our personal experience. Have no idea what we will do this fall if the new lawn doesn't survive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. We have tried the cedar hogs fuel and it does work at keeping the mud down but on sunny days it smells pretty bad. I put it in about 4-5 months ago and i can’t stand the smell now. Not to mention when I clean up the dog poop I end up getting a shovel full of it that’s won’t come loose. Ill upload a picture of my backyard tomorrow for a before and I am hoping to have everything done in a next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have a problem, a messing one too. My backyard is all messed up and im still trying to find a solution that’s not gonna cost me thousands of dollars. Also, my backyard is pretty small, drainage sucks, and with the houses around me the yard doesnt get a lot of sun, preventing grass from growing. I think I found a relatively cheap and easy solution, Pea Gravel. I saw it on a video of a guy walking his 8 GSD, yep that’s not a typo, 8!! Anyways he had pea gravel in his yard for the pups. Easy clean up, no mud, no smell, and relatively cheap. I’m gonna be prepping my backyard this next week but I was wonder if anyone else has this in their backyard. If so please share your recommendations and pictures. Ill try to remember to take before and after pictures of mine. :)
As long as you don't have a rock eater.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We had pea gravel in the husky kennel. It was great, at the beginning there's a kind of tan dust, but that eventually washes out. Ours was about 3-4 inches deep in a 20x20 kennel. Lots of work prepping, but worth it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had pea gravel in the husky kennel. It was great, at the beginning there's a kind of tan dust, but that eventually washes out. Ours was about 3-4 inches deep in a 20x20 kennel. Lots of work prepping, but worth it.
We have a company in my area that have this truck with a giant hose that will stray it where we want it. Pea gravel is the only gravel they do becuase it small enough to control so they dont damage anything

As long as you don't have a rock eater.
Nope, she did when she was really young but now that she's a little older she doesnt :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
We have a company in my area that have this truck with a giant hose that will stray it where we want it. Pea gravel is the only gravel they do becuase it small enough to control so they dont damage anything

Nope, she did when she was really young but now that she's a little older she doesnt :)
I would have KILLED for a truck that sprayed the gravel! I hauled what seemed like a ton of pea gravel in a wheelbarrow....one barrow-full at a time.
We rigged running water in that kennel, in the summer the gravel had a damp area, like a seep, under the tree, and the huskies would vie for the best spot. It worked great, til we had to break it down again, lol.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
We put straw down in our back yard last fall after Ziva killed all the grass. I won't do it again. It did significantly reduce the dirt and mud in the house. When the later winter, early spring rains came it really started to decompose and smell. It made Ziva's feet stink something awful after she walked on it. Also, we found the straw got very slick after awhile, making play time that included running dangerous.
That was our personal experience. Have no idea what we will do this fall if the new lawn doesn't survive.
Interesting. I never had this happen . The difference might be that I have it in a covered dog run. It never got snow or rain on it. It never completely decomposed.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i personally would use little bigger stones. pea gravel gets caught in dogs paws and dropped in the house. not that big a deal 'till you step on one the wrong way while walking barefoot in the house.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Our previous home was a townhouse with a very small yard. My DH built a small dog run and filled it with pea gravel for our GSD. Worked great. The only comments I would add is that they do track in small rocks which can damage your floors if you have hardwood or hardwood laminate. Maybe using a slightly large stone would solve this issue? The other thing is even though you can easily pick up the feces, you also need to disinfect/deodorize the gravel regularly. Otherwise, you will end up with a strong ammonia smell from the urine ... not very pleasant at the height of the summer heat.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
i personally would use little bigger stones. pea gravel gets caught in dogs paws and dropped in the house. not that big a deal 'till you step on one the wrong way while walking barefoot in the house.
You have to be careful with bigger stones because the drainage is not there with them. I get the dust from the pea gravel every now and then but never the actual stones.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts