German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a prong collar when I walk my dog. His lead got looped over his head, and in his efforts to 'correct' it, he contorted just enough that the collar came off :eek:. It is NOT a quick release collar. He looked down at his collar, looked at me, and ran away. I was all at once scared, angry (at myself), panic stricken. So after calling him and searching for 15 minutes, he came up to the car and was ready to come home. I am meticulous about how I attach his collar, I make sure all his equipment is in proper operating condition. From now on I will attach his lead not only to the prong collar, but also to his regular collar. I won't let this happen again. My dog is still learning recall. My point is, unless your dog is perfect on recall, check his / her collar (whatever kind you use) twice before taking that walk. It was scary to think what could have happened.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yes, while prongs should be tight enough that they don't come off, some people use them incorrectly or their dog is just lucky and they do break or come off from time to time. I work with hundreds of dogs at shelters and I ALWAYS use a choke chain with a prong because these things DO happen.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wow, what an experience! I use a prong when we're away from home sometimes but it's fitted tightly enough that I doubt it would ever come off- but as you learned, you never know. Glad it all worked out ok, must have been so scary

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I was using the smaller prongs(Herm Springer) for Karlo. His coat is really thick and so is his neck.
I've fitted it properly and it is tight, but not too tight. Attached to both rings so "dead".
I have had it roll upside down two times on me and it released once so decided to go with the larger gauge due to his coat.
This was during training and he was on a long line on a flat/fursaver as well, so I wasn't concerned with him getting away and he has great recall. We were doing protection and he is hard to handle if not on a prong, so I was concerned about him pulling me down or getting away from me on the flat!
Whenever I walk my dogs, I put a tab leash on the prong and the longer leash on a flat so when I need the prong, I just grab the tab
Otherwise they are on a flat collar when we walk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was scary! I fit his prong tightly, up high, but I must have done something wrong last night to make it so easy for it to come off. I was angry with myself for not paying closer attention. But, we just came from our walk tonight, and everything went well. No hardware malfunctions, thank God!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whenever I walk my dogs, I put a tab leash on the prong and the longer leash on a flat so when I need the prong, I just grab the tab
Otherwise they are on a flat collar when we walk.
Can you explain this for me? I can't imagine what it would look / work like. What is a tab leash and where do I get one? It sounds like something I'd like to use. I hook to both rings on his prong collar, too.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
A tab is a short 12" or 18" piece of leather with a knot at the end of it. Its easy to grab/hang onto. I use that on the prong so the dog isn't constantly feeling the pressure of the prong collar. I use the regular 4' or 6' leash attached to a flat collar for walking. If I need to use the prong(people or dogs running up to us) I'll grab the tab for more control. It works for me.

This is the one I have, it isn't bulky and easy to grip: this one has gripper material added for extra grip!!

I got it here:
Gripper Tab Leash : DogSport Gear
Make sure you are using a Herm Springer prong, the cheaper ones tend to break apart easier and the prongs aren't smooth.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I use a prong AND a martingale for extra security. ** The prong is sitting low here but you get the idea.**

I have had 2 prongs break on me (one was very old and stretched - it was my older dogs) but the other was a new one.

I got the smaller prong (Herm Springer) on recommendation from my TD and people on this site (for schH training) and love it. Never had any problems.

I still use the martingale for back up though, but I am parinoid.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A tab is a short 12" or 18" piece of leather with a knot at the end of it. Its easy to grab/hang onto. I use that on the prong so the dog isn't constantly feeling the pressure of the prong collar. I use the regular 4' or 6' leash attached to a flat collar for walking. If I need to use the prong(people or dogs running up to us) I'll grab the tab for more control. It works for me.

This is the one I have, it isn't bulky and easy to grip: this one has gripper material added for extra grip!!

I got it here:
Gripper Tab Leash : DogSport Gear
Make sure you are using a Herm Springer prong, the cheaper ones tend to break apart easier and the prongs aren't smooth.
Thank you! I will look it up!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a prong AND a martingale for extra security. ** The prong is sitting low here but you get the idea.**

I have had 2 prongs break on me (one was very old and stretched - it was my older dogs) but the other was a new one.

I got the smaller prong (Herm Springer) on recommendation from my TD and people on this site (for schH training) and love it. Never had any problems.

I still use the martingale for back up though, but I am parinoid.

That is exactly my 'new' set up (as of today). I hook to both prong rings and also to the collar. I didn't know it was called a martingdale collar. But that is exactly how I do it now. When he ran off, it was a nightmare come true. I was scared I'd never see him again. I am continuing his training on recall. It is slow going, but I'm not giving up!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I made a short "tab", but it had a clip on each end. I clipped one end to the prong, one end to his regular collar. Then the leash to the prong. That way, if his prong slipped, opened or whatever, it was still attached to his regular collar.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a short "tab", but it had a clip on each end. I clipped one end to the prong, one end to his regular collar. Then the leash to the prong. That way, if his prong slipped, opened or whatever, it was still attached to his regular collar.
That is a good idea, too. I'm loving that I'm not the only who is dealing with this collar set up thing. Lots of good advice for me to try.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I use a tab in training but I really like the way I have it for walks. Stark has excellent recall - when no squirrels are around. He still likes to pull on the lead and lunge at the trees when he sees one go up, both times that was what he was doing when the prong broke.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
What I did when I used to use a prong collar was I got a training tab with a loop and attached that to the leash and the other end to the dog's regular collar. I found if I attached the prong to the regular collar directly, it sometimes would get tangled together or would make it impossible for the prong to tighten properly.
I think I bought the tab at a dog show, it's a leather loop, very narrow width. It looks like a tiny version of a leash handle. I've also seen training tabs that have a snap at one end and an o-ring at the other.
I don't use prongs anymore, but I do the same thing for a 'safety strap' when I use Bianca's Halti. I guess the newer versions come with a strap, but mine is old.

The one I have is kinda like this, but mine is much skinnier/smaller than this:

This would work too:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Oh here is a photo I found where you can see the tab I use. It's in use with the Halti here but it's the same idea as with the prong-- the tab is connected to the dog's regular collar, and the leash is clipped through the tab loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
It is cool to see what people are using for backup attachments. Another option that I have used is a carabiner like so:

I have some that are ~3" long, and due to that length, you can just clip it through the flat collar ring, then rotate the flat collar so the ring/carabiner are near the prong collar ring and clip it into the prong collar ring as well.

I like the idea of using a prong with a short tab leash for emergency cat/squirrel encounters though.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use a leash with two snap hooks at the end... one for the prong and one for Diesel's backup collar. The snap hooks are slightly different lengths so that I can effectively use the prong and there is no tension coming from the second collar.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use a leash with two snap hooks at the end... one for the prong and one for Diesel's backup collar. The snap hooks are slightly different lengths so that I can effectively use the prong and there is no tension coming from the second collar.

This is great! Where did you find it??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts