German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I raise my voice to emphasis the garbage is not a food dispenser, Duke will back sass me. Just a low quiet mumbly kind of bark, just a 'word' or two but it's definitely back sass, you can see it in his eyes as he lays on the floor being scolded.

Does anyone else have a dog that back talks when scolded? It's soooo hard not to laugh.

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
I currently have one, lol. She’s slowed down a little with the back talk though. She’ll be 4 this month. I think it’s funny too.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
How old is the dog?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, Duke is somewhere between one and two. When we adopted him they said he was 2, but he was very puppyish and the vet said he was much younger by his teeth. We had him to the vet yesterday and since December he has gained almost 30 lbs so he's still growing. Just a toddler flexing his 'muscles'. I just wondered if anyone else had this experience.

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Something like:

NO

HERE

REWARD

May work better. I personally don't mind a little playful sass, but it's just that, playful on both sides.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
One of my fondest memories of Sabi is an argument we had across the coffee table about when she would receive the pizza bones.
Serious backtalk I would discourage but that grumbling...
I don't know. It's a personal decision I suppose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ohhh yeah. The mouth on my 6-month-old girl is a wonder to behold. Her sass when she tries to get away with misbehaviour and I won't let her is legendary.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
My dog has always air snapped and growled or barked when backing up, especially if I want her to keep going after just a few feet. She's done it since she was a puppy and she's almost 4 and still going strong. To me it's adorable!

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
the trick is to not reward it too much. My gal dog started barking a "hurry up" when going out to play together and I joined her in the glorious noise. Not long after it turned into a high pitched ruckus that even my big-boy doesn't want to listen to. Now I have to show her that no doors will be opened until she quiets down. It was much easier to "teach" her to make noise than to not make noise.

·
Registered
518 Posts
1st step- Never ever leave garbage accessible to a young dog. They will find it and make a habit of snuffling through it like Christmas morning. I had to move mine up on the counter for the first year or so. Especially to a dog that may be food insecure and not well fed in their previous home. Some rescue dogs that have spent a bit of time on the streets
have learned that garbage means food. For now, just move the garbage pail.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The GSD I lost last October was very, very biddable. I could have her off leash most places, and expect her to return to me on command. A park full of deer would not have been the best place to test that, but generally she could be off lead and expected to return to our side. Not a counter surfer, and not a destructive chewer. She was also prone to express her opinion if she thought a request was unfair.

It wasn't so much a growl as a little snort, usually when we were getting her to sit or lie down and she didn't particularly want to at the moment. But it was no doubt directed at us, and seemed to say, "I don't agree with this, but I'll do it!"

Though it wasn't a vocal thing, she also came to demand a bit of canned food sweetener on her kibble when she hit about 7-8 years old. It only took a table spoon, but if you didn't put it there, she'd look at you like, "it's not finished."

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I feed Jupiter, I make him go to his coolaroo bed. He does, reluctantly, but will bark and yowl loudly and incessantly (while producing large amounts of drool), until I finally release him and he can run and scarf it up.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You don't need to raise your voice as they can hear me tying my shoes in another room. He probably got some kind of reward for 'talking back'. Maybe you are making his ears hurt 🤷‍♀️ 😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
My baby moose Buddy (almost 2 yrs), grumbles when told to 'go lay down', but only at feeding time. All three of them must go lay down before I will prepare food and give it to them.
Buddy yips and kinda herds the other dogs like ' hurry up, go, lay down, I'm hungry'.
He won't lay down at all till the others settle. He continues to do this low tone grumble all the way down to the floor, and then whine until its time to come to Kitchen for the rest of the ritual, 'sit', put the bowl down, then a 'wait' and finally the 'alright'.
he is very very vocal.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"You don't need to raise your voice as they can hear me tying my shoes in another room. He probably got some kind of reward for 'talking back'. Maybe you are making his ears hurt 🤷‍♀️ 😉 "

Possibility. have to ask the kids <G>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Duke, our 10 year old, used to do a single, sharp, high pitched bark once in a while until he turned 1 or so, when I told him to "leave it" and he really didn't want to (but would). It was very definitely a back-talk "yes!" in response to my "no!" Beau, our 8 month old, has recently started doing the same.
As someone already said, GSD are very communicative. Duke has a whole vocabulary of barks, from low half growling, half whining complaints when the pup's efforts to get him to play bother him, to sharp low barks when the pup doesn't get the hint, to several medium pitch sharp "pay attention to me" barks, not to mention the assortment of whines, with or without hitting me with his paw (high pitch whine+paw = I need to go out now). Haven't figured out Beau's full vocabulary yet, but I expect it will be just as large

·
Registered
473 Posts
We still occasionally keep my 6 year old in peace in the living room, separated from the 7 month old. The pup has a very particular bark when he wants to see his buddy or his buddy has a favorite toy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts