German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I was on here but now Frank's 10 and we need help. We knew he had hip dysplasia from early on. But we've been giving him a regiment of Gluc./Condr., Fish oil, and Vit E and it's served him well. However, a week ago, out of no where, his rear legs started buckling when he would walk. No impacts/trauma, nothing leading up to it....just couldn't walk right. But he was still able to pee and poop without any issue and could get around the house (except for steps) with no problem. He was able to walk around in the yard just fine, driveway/pavement fine, carpet fine...just couldn't do hardwood and tile.

We took him to the vet on Friday and she said all his symptoms (walk, not correcting rear paws when positioned oddly, etc.) were indicative of a nerve being pinched or something nerve related. She took some blood to make sure he was okay to take an anti-inflamatory. She also put him on a muscle relaxer and a nerve pain killed (gabepentin, robaxin, and I forget the other). She also said to put a towel under his haunches to eliminate/help with weight bearing. She said she was pretty confident it was not a tumor because he didn't indicate any pain in the spine upon exam. She said that meant either a blood clot or a pinched nerve.

Over the weekend he has gotten MUCH worse. Now he is unable to walk on any surface without his rear legs buckling. He sits to pee. Pooping is horrible!! The towel method isn't working at all and he basically requires being pulled forward just to get some momentum and them poops while walking. We moved his water bowl near him and put him in a position of comfort on the carpet or some closed cell foam padding.

We have a call in to the vet to let her know the decline but even if it's just a suggestion for going to the bathroom....please share any experience you have that might help Frank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
When Wolfgang wasn't walking at all we got a help me up harness. Its a little pricy but man did it help with bathroom time!..

Reactions: dogbyte

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since it came on suddenly....I'd suspect spine/disc.....I'd think an x-ray would be good.for starters.......

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know you say it came on suddenly but this really sounds like Degenerative Myelopathy. You should have a vet rule that out in order to move on to other possibilities especially because this disease is very common in German Shepherds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts